93

A/N: Fast forward a couple months. Song above was inspiration for this chapter.

* * * * * *
June 2018
Chris' POV

As I stood in my backyard looking over the people gathered there I thought it's almost perfect – like God let me dial up the weather just for tonight. My friends and family were all here for the weekend after my birthday and it was so good to get the whole crew here; I hadn't seen some of them in forever.

I'd been surprised as hell when everyone had showed up this afternoon with food, drinks and everything we needed for a backyard barbeque. We'd been so busy with filming that I felt like I hadn't hardly had time to breathe lately so this was the perfect way to relax.

The sun had set already and the twinkling Christmas lights Scott and Stella had insisted on stringing all over the backyard this afternoon were the perfect backdrop in the fading light. It was one of those 'never forget it, better stop and take it in' kinda scenes.

Everything was just right...except for one thing: the person I wanted to see wasn't here. It hurt to think about her when it was almost like I could feel her there next to me. She should be here, standing with her arm around me here, cutting up at some stupid ass joke that Seb was telling, or cracking a cold beer and saying cheers in god only knows what language this time.

Sadie noticed me standing on the back porch and waved me over to them. I forced a smile before walking down the steps.

"You're moping again," she said, putting her arms around my waist and leaning into me. "She'll be back in less than two months now. You're at the halfway point."

"I can't help it," I sighed, wrapping my arms around her. "This is one of those moments that's got her name written all over it."

Sadie snorted. "Yeah, it does – because she put it together for you. Just because Megan couldn't be here today doesn't mean that she doesn't know you pretty damn well, Evans."

"I just wish she didn't have to miss this."

"I know. She's gotta do this, though – not just for her, for both of you."

"I can almost imagine what she'd be doing if she were here." She'd be taking way too many pictures on her phone, posting them on Instagram to show me off to everybody that we knew – and the rest of the world.

Sadie kissed my cheek and laid her head on my shoulder. "I miss her too."

We watched the boys playing with my nephews and Dodger at the other end of the yard and I thought about what Megan would be doing if she could be here right now. She'd be loving this – freaking out and smiling, all about what's going on right here, right now.

"You okay, babe?" Sadie asked, concern in her golden brown eyes.

"Of course," I bluffed, pulling her into a hug so she couldn't see how close to tears I was. "Love you, doll. Love you so damn much."

"Love you, too, babe."

"Group hug?" Sebastian said, putting his arms around the both of us and rubbing my back. "Happy birthday, punk."

* *

It was almost eleven when the party finally started to break up and everyone started to head home. I went into our room to get ready for bed, only to see the wrapped gift there on my bed and catch a faint hint of Megan's perfume. The scent dropped me to my knees as pain ripped through my chest; I missed her so damn much.

This was the longest we'd been apart yet; I hadn't been able to see her in person since the end of April but we'd wrapped in Atlanta yesterday, so I was hoping to get to go on tour with her for a little while until I had to report in for ADR recording.