Chapter Five

AN: Sorry about the slightly shorter chapter, that's just the way things turned out when I split it up! Please vote and follow, as it would help me a lot!

The summer passed by happily. Josephine, Aaliyah and Katherine would hang out a lot, doing many fun things and enjoying their time off from school. They hadn't gotten a response from Matthew yet, and they almost forgot about their mission to solve Kat's dad's murder.

One day, the three girls spotted Henry's father looking around suspiciously before getting into a black car. Looking at each other, they made the quick decision to follow him, wanting to know why he hadn't wanted anyone to see him getting into that car. They quickly got into their own car and followed the small black car into the downtown area of Greylake. This was the dangerous area. Many kids would come here after parties to try and prove their strength, and would return to school the next day with a black eye and a broken nose, and that was only the lucky ones.

Once the black car parked, they stopped at enough of a distance away that Henry's father would not notice. He got out of the car before entering a building.

"What building is that?" Aaliyah had been told all of the advances that Katherine had found since they were together when the girls began to follow Henry's dad.

Josephine pulled up a map on her phone, "It's some sort of business office."

"Can we go in?" Katherine asked.

"No, I wouldn't risk it. But what this does tell us is that Henry's dad has business downtown. Which means his business might not be as clean-slate as it is presented."

"Or it means that he had a paper to sign in a business that just happened to be here."

Aaliyah rolled her eyes, "Kat, no business 'just happens' to be downtown. All of the businesses here are connected to a drug cartel or something. Or at least that's what my dad tells me.

"Your dad is the sheriff, right?" Aaliyah nodded and the they all thought in silence before heading home, hoping to make a great time of the rest of their summer, even though they were all thinking about Henry's dad in the back of their minds.

**********

The second week after school began that Fall were the most stressful days that Katherine had ever experienced. The back to school dance was that weekend, and she had lots of trouble finding a dress. Rumors were spreading that Ryder was going to try to ask her, and when he finally did, the words couldn't even leave his mouth before Josephine said "no" and pulled her away from him.

It was Friday night when they finally got a response. Her phone beeped with an email notification, and it was from Matthew, the guy who wrote that weird blog they had found at the beginning of summer. She decided to wait until the next day when Josephine and Aaliyah were over to read it.

She opened it the second the two were in the room with her.

"Dear Katherine, I understand the concern you have to solve your father's murder. I'm sorry for your loss. The last contact I had with Andrew Reynolds was a little over three years ago. He was still practicing law, but I'm warning you. Try and find information another way. He became a lawyer in downtown Greylake, involved very deeply with a gang and drug lords. He is dangerous, and the area he works in is dangerous. If you're really serious about this, I have attached a map that includes the different areas I met with him at. Please be careful, and once again I ask, do not try to find Andrew Reynolds."

Katherine read the whole thing as fast as she could, barely processing what it was saying until she had finished reading it.

"Well, you're definitely going to find him, right?" Aaliyah questioned, getting out all of her makeup supplies to get ready for the dance.