Chapter Ten

AN: It's crazy that there's only three more chapters in this book... That means I need to hurry up and finish the next one. As always, thanks for reading, it means a lot!

The phone call woke Katherine up. She groaned, reaching over and declining it. She had stayed up a while after last night, tossing and turning late into the hours of the night. She had just dozed off again when the phone rang for a second time. Katherine groaned and reached over, grabbing it and answering it tiredly.

"Hello?"

"Katherine, I found a way to contact GenU." Katherine had never woken up quicker in her life.

"What did you just say?"

"I said I found a way to contact GenU. It's going to take a couple of weeks. The messaging feature in the app on this phone was a bust, but I did find an email. If I can email them, it would take a few weeks to go through with the app downloaded on a computer, but it should work."

Katherine nodded, although she knew her cousin couldn't see her. "If you need any help, I guess call me." Josephine hummed in response and Katherine hung up. Putting her head in her hands, she realized that she would need to break up with Henry for Kat, or at least tell him that they can't be together. She couldn't do it now. She didn't know how long it would take for Josephine to get in contact with GenU, so for now she would continue to be happy.

"Katherine. Come downstairs, please!" She followed her mother's instructions and made her way down the stairs. She wasn't expecting to see two police officers in her living room.

"Katherine Moore?" They asked, and she nodded, moving to sit on the couch by her family.

"You found a body on the trail, right?" Katherine nodded again and the two men shared a look before speaking again. "We have reason to believe that the person who killed your father was the same, or at least an accomplice to, the person who killed this man." Katherine's eyes widened and she hugged her little sister.

"Why do you think that?" Katherine's mother squeezed Katherine's knee.

"The method of killing is almost identical. Stabbed directly in the heart with a large kitchen knife. There was no DNA found near the body, just like your father. Even the body position is the same, sat up and leaning against something. Both had an X carved into their left thigh."

Katherine took a shaky breath. This is what she had been waiting for, what Kat had been waiting for. Another lead, something else to solve this murder.

When no one said anything, the police officers turned after thanking them for their time. The house was silent for a while after the news settled in.

"Mom, I have to tell you something." Katherine's mother turned to look at her. "I was looking for dad's lawyer. The one that he had before... you know. With the police reopening dad's case, I thought maybe you'd like to get a new lawyer? Because we might need one now."

"No. We aren't getting a lawyer. There is no reason for us to get a lawyer. We will wait until the police have more evidence and catch whoever did this." Katherine shook her head, but didn't argue. She began to make her way back up to her room when her mother stopped her.

"Oh, and Katherine?" Katherine turned to look at her. "The man that was killed was your dad's lawyer from before. Andrew Reynolds."

Katherine's heart sank. Andrew Reynolds was the only lead she had been able to gather, and he was dead now. She'd thought that if she could find him and tell him that there was a new victim of the man who'd murdered Kat's dad, that maybe Andrew would find it easier to help her solve the case. But now the only evidence she had was two dead bodies full of information. She didn't know what Kat would say. She hoped she'd still be able to solve this.