Full Summary and Author's Note

Full Summary

---

That woman held up her hands, gripping tightly onto the hairpin she had hidden pulled out from her elaborate hairdo. Pointing the tip of the sharp metal towards the neck of man in front of her, her hands trembled uncontrollably.

"Please do not blame me," she said firmly, but for some reason her tears kept pouring as well. "Do not...forgive me either," she added.

The man standing right before her took his steps closer to her, causing her to step backwards. With a swift movement, he grabbed onto her wrists and forcefully snatched the hairpin away from her and threw it far away, the faint sound of it dropping was deafening to their shattered souls.

"I will pretend this never happened." His tears were trickling down his cheeks, staring deeply into her eyes, searching for any last bits of love they used to have. However, he could not even gaze properly into her eyes anymore, because her eyes were now clouded by guilt and the dark truths buried under the luxurious life they were living. When she saw his tears, she fell onto her knees and covered her face with her hands as she wailed, as loud as possible. How could she have thought of doing that?

Seeing her being so fragile made him to want to pull her into his embrace like how he used to, but he found his body frozen in place as he knew he no longer had any rights to do so, ever since he found out the bitter truth she had been living with. In fact, his whole existence threw her into her current state. He was one of the causes for her misery.

"Let us end this." His words traveled clearly to her ears and she was stunned. She looked up at him, traces of tears still on her face felt warm from her sobbing. Her heart stopped for a moment. "Let us end this," he said again, his face was filled with so much of determination. Her whole world suddenly fell apart.

He hates me...he really hates me now.

---

Will you hate me if you know who I really am?

Orphaned since young, Yi Ran was adopted by the people she called aunt and sister. Living a peaceful life as the tomb cleaner of the Imperial Graveyard, she was always curious of the world hidden behind the high palace walls guarded by the stern-looking guards. One fateful incident led to her being brought into the palace because she looked almost identical to the Empress Dowager when the latter was young. However, it seemed that the ties she had with the palace could never be cut off as the strings kept pulling her back to it no matter how many times she was thrown out.

Sadly, when she uncovered the forbidden truths of the palace buried under the bodies of people who died so she could live, she realised that her peaceful days were gone and she could not even cut the ties off even if she wanted to as the strings were already formed before she was even born. This was a story of love, dignity and justice in a cruel world where such three words seemed to not exist.

---

Author's Note

Hi everyone! This story is a sequel to Love In The Palace, so both stories are set in ancient China. You can check it out in my works. You can read this story as a stand alone of course, but it'd be better if you read Love In The Palace first as it might create less confusion. Anyways this story would spoil a lot for Love In The Palace. So if you don't like spoilers, do check out and read Love In The Palace first! (Completed, 50 main chapters with 7 special chapters)

By the way...this story is of course romance but don't expect a modern kind of romance story because...people in the past were not very open-minded you know. This story also emphasises/focuses more on the storyline.

Anyways, I hope this story will receive as many support as Love In The Palace gets, or even more! Please do support this story! Thanks a loooot! :)

First version of cover:

Second version of cover