24. The Endless Scheming

Chapter 24.

---

recap: in the previous chapter, Emperor Míng visited Ān Yù's funeral and this aroused curiosity from Yì Rán. The girl asked her sister what was the relationship between the Emperor and her aunt, but she refused to answer and said that she would tell her when the time was right. The girl was invited to the palace for a lunch with Consort Yú, First Princess and Second Prince, to
comfort her after the passing of her aunt. She saw a birthmark on the neck of First Princess that resembled the wound from hairpin. Second Prince later volunteered to send her back and gave her a hairpiece with a white peach blossom jade on it.

---

They continued to walk along the corridors in silence, the occasional petals of flowers that were brought by the wind, fluttering in the air were their companions. The chirping of birds, melodious and sweet, were the rhythmic music of spring, because the flowers had just bloomed like a love that had just been born. With the everlasting gentle breeze, even the sun was warm enough, just like the heartwarming feelings that grew with time.

When they passed by the gates of a wall, they both encountered the mother of the Empire, the phoenix, who just walked past the bridge to the manmade river, catching their eyes. The girl instantly dropped into a curtsy while keeping her face down, hoping that the Empress would not recognise her. Second Prince bowed his body deeply upon seeing the highest woman in the harem.

"How are you lately, Second Prince?" the phoenix took her steps slowly while her servants followed closely behind her, keeping their distance right. She noticed the young prince paying respects to her, but her eyes took notice more of the girl standing right beside him.

"Your Son has been well. Empress looks healthy and seems to be in a good mood today." Second Prince straightened his body and met the Empress' eyes, smiling away any negative feelings he harboured towards her.

"This spring comes early, the flowers have blossomed and made me extremely delighted," she elaborated expertly, a true conversation-holder she was indeed. She turned her eyes to the girl right beside him, putting on the facade of confusion.

"Who might this girl be?"

"I am the daughter of Minister Yú, Yú Yì Rán." Empress stared at the girl stern and long, she was just amazed by how lucky this girl must be.

First, Empress Dowager took her in. Now, she becomes the adopted daughter of Minister Yú. The world is not so beautiful, young one.

"Rise," the Empress said shortly. The girl promptly rose from her position and stood with her back straight, her eyes on the grounds, not daring to meet the phoenix's.

"You are indeed beautiful."

"Th-thank you, Your Highness."

"How old are you?"

"I am seventeen years old, turning eighteen this year, Your Highness." Her answer was just too satisfying for her to hear, because the lost princess would have the same age as her.

"What do you say about entering the palace again?"

"Huh?" Both Yì Rán and Second Prince looked up at the Empress, surprised.

"Empress Dowager used to like you so much and you look just like the younger version of her. Since I do not have a princess to accompany me, I would like a companion as well. You are turning eighteen soon, I can also arrange for your marriage."

Because that way, not only can she completely sever the hope First Prince had to have this girl, she could also have her eyes always on the girl and then send her far away from the palace, never to return. What was the chances of people dying from a long-distanced travelling anyway?