4. The Irreversible Return

Chapter 4.

(Important announcement below)

---

Recap: In the previous chapter, Yì Róng moved to the Capital City and lived in the outskirts of the Imperial Mausoleum as tomb cleaner together with her aunt Ān Yù and sister Pī Yáng. Her name was changed to Yì Rán. Then a few years passed and she grew up to become a beautiful girl, resembling someone she was definitely not supposed to. When she was visiting the Capital City to run some errands, she met a man around her age.

---

That man stared at her, confusion filled his eyes as he tried to comprehend her. Why was there a need to move his horse?

"What reason might it be for?" He asked as he placed both his hands at his sides, looking at her straight in the eyes.

"Um....your horse is stepping on my veil." So he turned around and threw a short glance on the veil before returning to look at the girl.

"It is ruined anyway. But if you still need it, get it from my servant." And with that, he left her staring at him in shock. She could not believe that someone as rude as him could exist. Brushing away the dust on her dresses, she stepped up to the servant guarding his horse.

"Sorry to trouble you, but could you move the horse for a moment? My veil is..." Yì Rán pointed to the veil which the horse was stepping on. The young man dressed in black turned to look at her. He was stunned for a moment before he was finally able to react to her words.

"Oh? Ye-yes...!"

When she finally retrieved her now dirtied veil, Yì Rán sighed and stuffed it into her basket. At the same time, her fingers dug into her basket and she pulled out another spare veil, exactly identical to the one which was dirtied. She wore back her hat and draped the veil over again before she entered the restaurant.

"Ah! Veiled Girl! Finally you are here!" An old lady's voice appeared from among the noisiness filling the restaurant. She limped her way through the crowds and adjusted her dresses before she lightened up. Yì Rán took the piece of cloth covering her basket and revealed a pile of beautifully embroidered red cloths.

"Yes, these are great! These are totally perfect for dowries!" The old lady dug into her white pouch tied around her waist and took out several coins. She retrieved all the cloths in the basket and threw the coins inside, smiling at Yì Rán who bowed in return.

"Thank you Madam Mǎ." Her voice sounded like a song and she grabbed her dresses, turning around as she collected the coins in the basket and kept them safely in her white pocket tied under her sleeves. She adjusted her veil before untying the knot of the rope and mounted her horse. She patted her horse and it started trotting slowly while she enjoyed the rowdiness of the city. When she left the city into a guarded path, she heard the sound of horse trotting as well behind her, but she paid no heed to it. However, the sound followed her for sometime, until they are nearing the palace.

"You in front! Stop! What are you doing?!" Yì Rán stopped her horse when the masculine voice shouted at her. She did not dismount her horse but only turned around to look at the man from behind her veil.

"What?" She asked, still confused at his angry tone.

"This is the path to the palace!" He stopped right next to her, she recognised him as the rude person she met earlier at restaurant and the person following him as his servant.

"I know." She answered simply, still confused at his thousands of inquiries.

"Commoners are not allowed in the palace unless permitted, do you not know that?" He asked again.