28. Princess

chapter 28.

---

recap: in the previous chapter, Second Prince pondered about Emperor's decision to betroth Yi Ran to her. During his coming-of-age celebration, Yi Ran was personally invited by Consort Yu. When the girl wandered about, she met Astrologer Wei, who discussed about how sad her soul seemed to him and his shaman friend. His friend noted that she would also be the one to save the Imperial Family's star from dimming, but at the price of her safety. Imperial Edict was drafted and delivered to the Yu Manor for Yi Ran, while Ru Yao once again witnessed such delivery.

---

It had been weeks since the announcement and delivery of Imperial Edict. There was no objection from Consort Yu, who remained silent about the whole situation which she herself was kept under the light from. No matter how kind and virtuous of a woman she was, she was still a mother who wanted best for her son, and definitely Yi Ran was not able to provide any benefits for Second Prince. However, she was comforted by the idea that she was just a concubine and a repetition of Consort Lan's history, in which the marriage itself was only to protect the girl.

She was aware of her own son's
feelings all along and if she allowed her son to take the girl he liked as his concubine, he would at least be more obedient to her from then on. It was a win-win situation anyways, as not only was the girl beautiful and obedient, she was filial and had shown the right virtues a woman should possess.

The pair tied in red knot had not seen each other for the same number of weeks, as marriage preparation had started and the groom and bride were customarily not allowed to meet before that. The date had been set, to take place in the upcoming spring, meaning there would still be half a year before the day would come. It was inevitable that both of them grew curious about the each other's reaction to the edict. It was a widely-known fact that this was a marriage arranged by the elders and not something they had a say in.

Does he hate the idea of having to marry me?

Does she hate the idea of having to marry me?

They held onto the tiniest bit of hope in their heart which had been flooded by their suspicions.

After all, he always thought that she was in love with First Prince and was definitely despaired by the news of his marriage with the daughter from the Meng's.

After all, she still thought that he still harboured some feelings, now matter how little it was, to Concubine Hua. No matter what, they both lived in the palace and not like her, who lived away at the Yu's Manor.

What are the chances that he will truly love someone he rarely sees and someone who was originally a tomb cleaner at that? She thought.

---

It had been three months since then and Yi Ran had to undergo training about the customs and rules of the palace as a concubine, under the guidance of a senior palace-servant. When an imperial edict had been issued, it could not be retracted. Never would the Emperor ever disgrace himself for retracting it. However, if the Heaven's son knew that it would be a sin, why then did he issue such edict that went against the rules of the imperial family itself?

Rù Yáo gritted her teeth and bit her fingernails, while her servants were unsure of the reason their master looked unhappy. The young missy of the family going to be married into the palace, why would she look so disappointed? It was definitely an honour to be able to live in the palace.

Except they did not know, the truth that were buried under so many bodies of people who died so that the girl could live. She was the daughter of Crown Prince, he was the son of Emperor Míng, previously known as Third Prince.