27. Tied Red Strings

Chapter 27.

recap: in the previous chapter, First Prince was told the news of a a girl named Meng Su Yan being betrothed to him. Knowing that the girl was a manipulative and proud noble girl, First Prince hated the union but had to bear with it. Afterwards, it was circulated around the palace that the noble newlyweds were very loving and many anticipated the good news. When Second Prince visited the Emperor, the latter told him of his idea to betroth Yi Ran to him after the former's coming-of-age celebration.

---

He was sitting in his own chamber, staring on the wooden floor while he let his mind recall his Father Emperor's words earlier. He could not believe how easily his hopes were fulfilled. He had always liked the girl, it was his first time that he liked a girl so much even though she was not his first love. He knew it was impossible in the first place for her to be his primary spouse, for she did not have the real noble bloodline and she could provide no benefit for him by being his primary spouse. He knew that the position of the primary spouse was only reserved for the women from prominent families who could provide the men with her family's support. It had always been the case, with whichever man from the Imperial family he had known of. It was safe to say that there was practically no love between them, but it was unusual for the First Prince and the First Prince's Consort to be so in love. Perhaps it was still possible after all, for couples from arranged marriages to be in love.

"Many knew of her origins. Despite her being part of the Yu family now, it will be difficult for her to be accepted by other families. Since you have a good relationship with her and Consort Yu likes her a lot, she should be safe with you."

"W-what about-"

"Since you are both not related by blood, this is allowed as this has happened before, with the Late Emperor and Consort Lan. Consort Lan was the adopted by Late Emperor's birth mother, Empress Dowager Lan's family."

He was undeniably and truthfully delighted at the idea of being able to be together with her, but could he withstand all the challenges life had for him? Those labelled as the Imperial family members obtained their glorious status by ridding what was originally hers. Did they think that the Heavens would not punish them or make them pay for what they had done? Some of them were not involved in the treasonous crimes, but what if they were related to or born the offsprings of those who sinned? Children of sinners had to pay for the sins of their parents as well, had it not always been the case in this ruthless world? The world was never forgiving to those who had sinned and even their family members would never be spared.

If no justice could be brought to the daylight, perhaps the Heavens would be the ones to enforce the karmic cycle of sins.

---

The palace once again celebrated the coming-of-age of another prince, and it was Second Prince this time. Celebrations were prepared by Consort Yu since months ago as it was a huge celebration for the prince to step into the threshold of adulthood and attend the sacred court hall. Guests of noble status were invited, most of them were court officials. Only under special invitation by Consort Yu that Yi Ran could attend the celebration, as they had kept surprisingly close relations as family.

Before the celebrations officially started, the other Imperial family members sat in their own respective seats arranged in accordance to their status, followed by the ministers. Some of them were still pouring in when the time had neared. The Head Monk had been standing beside the altar, preparing for the blessing ceremony for the prince who would be officially recognised as a court-worthy individual. Next to him was supposedly the palace's astronomer, but he was nowhere to be found.