CHAPTER 1.

I walked through the convenience store at a normal pace, acting as casual as possible. The ceiling lights were bright, the tile floor was bright, i felt as if everybody could see me.  I have done this so many times it was almost too easy. The employees didn't suspect a thing. They never do. I walk out unsuspecting, it was as if I just didn't find what I was looking for. I look up at the sky; it's the color blue right before it is about to go black. My favorite color of the sky. The change was surprising since it was barely sunset when I had walked in the store.

I walk across the parking lot swiftly looking left to right and all around, making sure they didn't catch me. I wait for the cross walk signs to let me proceed and I quickly spot Tania in her dark blue hoodie. She was always shorter than me, maybe about a head shorter, dark brown hair and tan skin.  As I walk up to her I see her longing dark brown eyes scan me for food. We haven't really eaten since yesterday morning. We keep walking a ways, out of the stores sight. Then I pull out the food. Granola bars and candy bars fall out; they make the least amount of sound when stealing them.

"Can't wait for the day when I'll have a real meal again." she mutters to herself as she grabs a bar and rips it open. I am about to say something on how she should be lucky she's eating anything at all, but I actually agree with her. I begin chomping down on a granola bar, eating it in three bites and going onto the next.

"Should we keep going?" She asks.

"Where?" I ask, curious if she has any ideas for the night.

"Well... I was thinking 'the wall'"

"The wall...?" I say looking around. "If we're going to we better hurry before all the spots are taken".

"I know... Its our only option really"

"I know" I say, nodding my head.

We then start to begin our walk to 'The Wall'. The wall is a place where homeless people can gather and you aren't harassed or bothered by others, and it's also nice to have company. Usually a lot of younger people take refuge there. We have had our fair share of nights at the wall. Sometimes its just safer that way, but you never know who is going to be there and what spot you're going to get.

We have had a couple of instances, arguments and fights. Nothing too dramatic, we usually stay out of it. I've almost memorised the streets and buildings in this town. Almost everything looks familiar, so getting to the wall isn't too difficult. I recognise the buildings as we turn corners and cross streets quickly. I then realise we are getting closer. I start to feel a bit nervous, a weird feeling forms at the bottom of my stomach. This place has always made me somewhat nervous, it makes everybody nervous.

But it is still better then sleeping out on the sidewalk in the open.

I look up at the sky and I see the stars so clearly. Something about the night is so calming and humbling to me. When we round the last corner I see the lights from down the alley. The flashlights. Tall old brick buildings surround the alley. It's dirty and musty, but it's familiar. Tania and I look at each other and nod our heads. She pulls out her flashlight from her old, black backpack. I pull mine out as well.  We walk up cautiously seeing the people come into view. I notice their curious stares and I start to feel a bit uncomfortable, but I try to realize that these people are just here for refuge like us. Tania doesn't seem to mind much and keeps walking a bit more relaxed.

I scour the area for a familiar face, walking past homeless families and young children in huddles. There is not much color here, the cement walls are grey, and the concrete ground is grey. This place has a special look to it, which must have attracted people from the start. There are many ledges through the large open space. They look like giant stairs all around and people climb around to get a good spot or they stay on the main level. The main level is very open and many of the newcomers stay here. The higher levels are almost reserved for people who have been here longer and they are usually much older.