CHAPTER 8.

When the breakfast was finally over I rushed up to Caroline's room to do my daily chores. Afterwards, I checked on all the royal vampires I was responsible for, except for Isaac. I did that for several days. I did not look at him, and I did not go into his room.

Almost five days had gone by without much interaction with any of the royals or anything of any interest happening. My daily actions and duties started to become monotonous and I found myself starting to feel comfortable in a way. One day I then realised where I was again. I realised what they are doing to me. I am treated like a slave and a burden on their shoulders. I then started to try to find a way out again. During every errand I looked for an exit, but to no avail. I would get lost every time, and the fear of getting caught was always a risk. The way the house was built made it even harder and certain areas in the house were off limits to servants. Which may be the reason why I have not found an exit. That does not explain Caroline's home. I was allowed everywhere in her home, but I could not find an exit anywhere without getting confused of where I was. 

When I walked to breakfast one morning I was silent for almost the whole time, Maria talked to the others a bit about the breakfast and of the weeks events. The room is a bit more quiet than usual, there were less people around and more plates of food left over at where they were served. I then let my curiosity get the best of me and felt compelled to ask questions.

"Did some people not come today?" I ask Maria.

She turns her head in my direction, looking at me as if I should already know the answer. I then noticed her face look as if somebody scratched her or she scraped her face against something. She caught me looking at it and I quickly looked back down at my food and took a bite.

"No, two of the girls Lord William asked to stay were sent back to their homes, they brought quite a few servants with them I guess" she says.

A couple of kids sit down and Maria greets them with a smile like she always does.

"Partnering?" I ask confused from what she had said. I had heard a bit about it before, but never understood what anybody was talking about.

"You don't know about that?"

I shake my head.

She turns towards me and starts to speak in a bit of a lower voice. "I don't know everything about it, but I'll tell you what I know. Partnering only affects the royals, it is some kind of chemistry or something in their body of some sort that draws them together. I can't really be sure, but that is how they find their partner. They go to different royal balls, like the one when you first came here, when they are of age to try and find their partner."

I am silent for a few moments. It sounds almost magical.

"It has something to do with blood I think," she adds.

Brian was listening to our conversation and he leans in to talk. "The blood is what draws them," he says in a quiet voice. "I really don't understand it either."

We then let the subject drop and just concentrate more on eating and finishing our meals. I kept thinking and letting my mind wander as I ate and soon enough I started asking questions again.

"Isaac didn't want me to serve him," I said to Maria, I felt weird talking about him amongst each other since he has barely spoken a full sentence to me.

"He doesn't let humans serve him, only other vampires of a low ranking," she says. "That's how his family is."

For some reason I am a bit surprised by her answer.

"What?"

"His family is one of the more powerful and wealthy royal families, or so I have overheard. Humans aren't really even allowed in their homes unless family brings them when they visit."