CHAPTER 4.

The next morning I was awoken by a knock.

"Time to get up!" I heard in the hallway. I jolted awake and looked around the dark room. I got up quickly and put on my clothes. I opened the door and poked my head through and saw others coming out of their rooms. They were all human. I felt a bit of a relief wash over me, they were alive, and living here. I have a chance.

One had spotted me and walked over to another girl and started whispering. I walked out quickly, shutting my door and walking the other way down the hallway. My first duty was to bring Lady Caroline down for breakfast in the morning. I went down to her eating area, which was a very open area with a large white table with expensive silverware and beautiful decorations all around. Light shown in from the many big windows all lined up in row on the wall to my left, which I could still not see through, no matter how close I looked at them.

It was very strange.

"We are ready for Lady Caroline," the man from yesterday with the suit said. He was again wearing a nice lounging suit-like outfit. Nicer than the other outfits around with other vampires. I then quickly went up to Lady Caroline's room and brought her down. She was in a nice white silk dress with expensive jewelry around her neck and matching earrings. Everything about her was elegant.

As I walked her into the room she glanced at my patched up neck a couple of times. I tried to ignore it, but I felt nervous. I quickly rushed to the humans dining hall, which was less extravagant, but I didn't care. There were a couple of small tables in a small room for us. Candles lit the area. I saw everybody sitting at tables and they were... talking and some even smiling...

Then everybody noticed I was standing there.

Everybody was looking at me. I couldn't tell if they were looking at me personally or the covered up bite on my neck. I went over to a long metal ledge where I saw the food on plates. I grabbed a plate of food and look around the room. I recognised one of the girls from the hallway earlier motion me over to her table. When I come over they were at first silent, then the brown haired girl started to speak.

"Do you want us to explain everything for you?" the brown haired girl asked.

I looked at her and nodded my head. I wanted to know more then anything, i was very curious and anxious to know.

"I'm Katie," she says. She then introduces me to two other girls Jane and Gail.

"Violet" I say back quietly.

"Nice to meet you Violet" Gail says with a small smile.

I nod my head, but I can't seem to get myself to smile back.

"Where am I?" I ask abruptly.

They look at me a bit surprised that I had asked a question.

They both look at each other then back at me. "We don't really know... we've never been outside."

I sigh and look down at the table.

"What we mostly know is about the people in here. Caroline is a Royal vampire, very important. What we have learned while staying here is that they treat them almost like Gods. Everything is done for them and they are respected by all vampires."

"I just don't understand... who they are," I say.

"Its all very confusing. What we do know is that they don't want us to see what is outside. Have you seen the windows?"

I nod my head.

"We have been trying to find a way to go outside, but we have either gotten lost or caught being where we weren't supposed to" she says looking around and scooping some food up. "The Royals, they're powerful."