CHAPTER 9.

I spent the next two days with Caroline and the servants preparing and decorating for the ceremony of Williams partnering. Caroline and one other girl were to be chosen between, to be his partner. Although, one of the girls should already know it is one of them. Caroline says she has a feeling of some sort towards him that she knows is true. Even though she is very nervous, I see something in her eyes that I hadn't seen before.

Happiness.

So much effort was made into making things exquisite and lovely for the family and friends coming. I could only imagine how much preparation for partnership unification called for. From what I understand, many vampires attend the partnering unification, far more then the ceremony that was to take place today. All of their family, friends, people of whatever community they have. It makes me curious of what it will be like. I then start to think about what my life would be like as an actual permanent servant here. Here is a lot different from Caroline's home, but I have ended up living here at Williams longer than I ever did at Caroline's.

I have avoided William and Isaac for most of these two days. I wasn't talked to by anybody about what had happened that night. It was almost as if it never happened, and that was the way I wanted it to be. The more I talked, the more I became involved and got into more trouble. I ended up not speaking a word for one whole day and then the next. It just got easier and easier as the days went on. I felt as if I could do this forever, but I knew I would eventually have time to talk to the humans once again after the partnering was over.

Today, which was the day of the ceremony, I spent my whole day with Caroline helping her prepare. Other vampires were there as well to tend to her and dress her up. Before the ceremony I made a couple errands for her and grabbed my lunch to eat up in the room. When I went into Caroline's bedroom she was already dressed. It was a big shimmering, golden colored dress that went all the way to the ground and trailed behind her. She had beautiful jewels around her neck and on her fingers and wrists. I saw her shoes were beautiful golden heels. She looked breathtaking. I couldn't stop looking at the beauty of her dress. The vampire servants braided her hair intricately and it ended up being a beautiful up do. She then had a special jeweled headpiece be pinned into her hair. The jewels draped across her hair and draped over her forehead as well.

She looked like royalty. She was royalty.

"Why am I your personal servant and not a vampire?" I asked curiously. I didn't know what had come over me to ask the question, but it was already done.

She was silent for a moment then she looked over at me.

"I am not as important or powerful as their families and I was never raised that way."

I was surprised that she answered me. Then suddenly we heard a knock on the door and two men had come in, the ceremony was starting.

 ........

When we got to the ceremony downstairs everything was set up. Big, long white silk tapestries hung down from the walls and many lit candles illuminated the room.  I was then told to go to the back with the other servants right as I entered.

The ballroom was even bigger then the one we had been in at the last dance. I felt so small in such a large room. I then began to hear the beautiful classical music in the background. It was so nice to listen to music again; I had always enjoyed it in the past. It was a beautiful classical sounding music that made me feel as if I was in a dream.

When I looked out a bit I noticed how many people were here. I noticed there was a stage at the back of the room, a very tall and big stage, which was where the band was placed. Many tables were set around the room for people to sit in. They were draped with white tablecloths and in the middle of every table were roses. White roses on some and red on others. I was curious to walk over to one and look to see them. They were from the outside; they couldn't have come from that far. They were still fresh.