17. the big night

🚨

look! at! caroline! showing! proudly!!! (ps: I imagine this as the pic taken of them later in the chapter!)

I bend over the dresser in Harry's dimly lit bedroom, attempting to get closer to the mirror above it as I place my second earring in

I bend over the dresser in Harry's dimly lit bedroom, attempting to get closer to the mirror above it as I place my second earring in. I adjust myself on my tiptoes to see where my piercing is, getting it in just in time for me to not poke myself when I grow startled at Harry's presence behind me in the reflection.

"Hi," I press my lips together in a small smile that the man leaning on the bed frame can see back in the mirror. I take one last look at myself, moving my hair to the way I'd like it as I say, "I didn't know you already came back home."

"Got back from setting up Lawrence Hall twenty minutes ago, and I changed in the bathroom," Harry gestures to his extravagant suit. The dark maroon of it accentuates the natural color of his smirking, raspberry lips, contrastingly darkening his eye color and hair. The dragon print along the pants that are crossed along with his legs immediately attract the eye, as if his face wasn't gorgeous enough.

Harry planned to wear this for the occasion tonight, though now, he plans to wear it under the white uniform he, now as a chef working in the kitchen, will be sporting. He claims he is saving me a dance at this ball and that he would dress his best for such an opportunity.

"And you, love," his eyes rake down my body as I turn around, instantly gravitating to my waist.

"Do you like it?" I pose with open arms, my hip to the side as I put on a smile.

"You're showing," he puffs out, lips parted in awe as he points toward the obvious.

This long, simple black and white abstractly striped gown accents a lot of my more dominant, pregnancy features, being a little tighter than what I've usually worn. The low v-shaped neckline was the first thing I thought would be daring considering the size my chest has grown to, but how much it expresses my pregnancy, cupping my belly, is far bolder than that.

"Well that's not exactly what I was expecting to hear..." I quip with pursed lips and he chuckles, shaking his head as he takes two steps my way to draw me in his arms.

"You know I adore it." His hands wrap around my lower back, eyes fluttering down to my exposed chest as he bites his lip, "It's got a lot of easy access."

Harry runs a finger tauntingly down the neckline, making my entire body twitch with goosebumps. I flicker my gaze up from his actions, watching his lip quiver as he focuses down on the area.

I hold my hand over my tummy, going back to that initial worry I had when putting it on, "So, it looks okay, right? I don't look tacky?"

"Caroline," Harry breathes, an open smile with his dimples on display overtakes his face as he spins me around in his embrace to face the mirror. He squeezes his arms under mine to hug around my tummy and place his chin to my shoulder, both of us making eye contact through our reflections.