Chapter 6: Hydra Stinks

We suited up and got ready for our mission. I paced back and forth in the jet.

"Nervous?" Loki jeered.

"No. I sense death."

He stayed quiet after that. We arrived at the base and landed. I followed Tony, Steve, Clint, Nat, Vision, and Wanda out of the jet. Bruce, Thor, and Loki stayed behind. Apparently Loki still wasn't to be fully trusted. We walked closer to the doors and the guards aimed their guns at us. I drew a gun of my own, hand trembling. Steve ran forward, using his shield to block the bullets and knocked the two out.

Tony flew up over the base.

"Later dudes." He said over his intercom. I rolled my eyes. Wanda used her powers to open up the door. We walked in and spit up. I joined Wanda.

"This way." I whispered.

"How do you know?" She whispered back.

"I can sense life in that hall." I said pointing to the hall opposite of the one we were headed into.

"Okay." She whispered, voice trembling a bit. I held the gun out in front of me. We walked together through the dark hallway. I closed my eyes.

"No!"

"What?" Wanda asked.

"They're coming. We're trapped."

Just as I finished speaking guards appeared on either side of us. We stood back to back and out of the corner of my eye I saw Wanda push several people back. I focused on the group in front of me. They fired at me and I aimed back, aiming to injure only, not kill. They seemed stunned that I wasn't falling when the bullets hit me. I stood as a shield in front of Wanda while she caught her breath.

When the last of the guards were gone, I looked back at her.

"You ready?"

She nodded.

"Let's go!"

We ran side by side down the hallway and stopped at an intersection.

"Left!"

She listened to my directions.

"Straight!"

"To the right!"

"Stop!" We stood in front of a door.

"Here."

Wanda opened the door and we saw several different forms of technology scattered around the room. Footsteps echoed in the hallway. Wanda moved to hide but I stopped her.

"It's just Steve."

Sure enough the solider came through the door and observed the room.

"Good work." He complemented. And started stuffing weapons into a bag.

"It was Death." Wanda said, "She's absolutely brilliant!"

I guess she's not so afraid of me after all. I blushed and Steve smiled at me before looking away.

"Alright, that's the last of it. Stark is still distracting them, we need to find Clint, Nat, and Vision and get out of here." He said. I nodded and followed him out of the hall.

"Left!"

We ran down the corridor.

"Right!"

We turned and I sensed life.

"Wait!"

But it was too late, Steve ran straight into Clint and Natasha. The three lay sprawled across the floor. I looked at Wand and we both burst out giggling.