Crossbuck

His gang was waiting for him to spill his story the next day. One by one they went to his house, much to the dismay of his mom. She tells them how annoyed she is whenever they assemble on their porch, ruining the grass she so carefully maintains well-trimmed. But Jay knows that she loves each and every one of his gang, even if she complains whenever they ransack her kitchen.

"Don't you kids ever eat at your own houses?! Chip! Wash those dirty hands of yours before picking at that bacon! Basti, I saw you, put that extra pancake back on Sol's plate! All of you, I'm not cleaning up after, do the dishes on your own!"

"Aww, but you love it when we're here, Mamsy!"

"Yeah...(munching)...you love us Mrs. F....(munch)..."

She cast them a steely look as Jay entered the kitchen.

"I'm still not cleaning after you. Jay, tell your friends to clean up, or they won't be eating here again. Goodness, you're all grown-ass men. Be more decent or nobody will marry you. Especially you, Chip! I have half a mind to tell your girlfriend to start thinking about your engagement!"

Jay hugged his mom before she turned around to leave. He looked at the three guys huddled over pancakes and bacon that his mom cooked. She somehow has superpowers, sensing that his friends will be coming over that morning, thus the bunch of food ready for them to gobble on.

"Hey, Jay."

"Basti, Mom said to put back that pancake."

"You think Mamsy will really tell Grace to change her mind about being engaged to me?"

"If she sees you with your mouth full of bacon grease and maple syrup, Grace will likely think about it on her own."

Jay sat down on one of the kitchen chairs and helped himself with breakfast. He got back last night a little later than he intended to. He took his time in getting across the tracks. He kept looking back to the direction of the gasoline station where he left Dei. He didn't care if her brother and his minions would bully him over, he just wanted to make sure that Dei was fine. He smiled when he thought back to holding her in his arms last night, as he lifted a piece of bacon to his mouth, but it was suddenly snatched away by a quick hand.

"Dude, I know you love bacon but the way you look right now, it's as if this piece of fried heaven had lips and you were about to french it."

"You're a jerk, Chip. Give me back my bacon."

"Not until you tell us what happened last night."

"Yeah, Jay...(munch)... what happened with that girl...(munch-munch)..."

"Chip and Basti dragged me away from the store to go after you but I told them you can handle it. Besides it was just a girl..."

"Dei. Her name's Dei. And her foot got stuck on the tracks. If I hadn't gone after her, she could've been hit by the eight o'clock."

The guys stared at him as he told them of what happened last night. How he got to the tracks in time to free her foot, how he brought her back to the North on his bike, meeting his brother and his minions...

"Whoa! Back-up. You took her to the North?! On your bike?!"

"Like she rode with you?"

Jay looked at his friends, whose eyes were so wide open and mouths were gaping (some food dropping, naturally). He was amused that his friends find it shocking that he crossed the tracks.

"Her bike was broken after she fell from the jump, and got worse when the train hit it. And her foot looked bad so I had to carry her to my bike so..."