Interchange

They agreed to make their situation work.

He was sent to a company somewhere in the East for a three-month training. Something that he has been eyeing, something that he believes will help both their towns. An advancement in organic farming technology that he knows will benefit the farmers. She was initially hurt, but it calmed her that it would only be for three months.

Sure, they can make it work.

He came back on weekends. It was that way for the first month. They would be together for two days before he has to go back to the east. She would be waiting for him to alight the six-o-clock over at the Southern platform, and would see him off after two days. It became a routine. Until the weekends became every other weekend, because he had to stay for longer shifts in training.

It's been a month since they last saw each other.

He had to give up Best Man duties at Chip and Grace's wedding because he wasn't sure if he'd be able to come. It caused a rift between the two guys, and she tried to make excuses for him. But she knows it's getting more difficult to defend him.

She's developed a close bond with the bride, something she never had in the North. She grew up mostly among her brother's minions. She never really thought of them as her friends to begin with, so the friendship with Grace is something new to her. And she was enjoying it, if only to fill the void she was starting to feel with her boyfriend's absence.

She was the only person from the North at the wedding. A year ago it would have been the most awkward social event for her. Heck, she's never been in any social event to begin with. But with the ties that were being mended between the two towns, and the warmest welcome from the Faulkerson family, she didn't really feel left out.

Except that the one person she would have wanted to be with on that special day was nowhere to be found.

Until she felt someone sit next to her, and heard the most familiar voice whisper in her ear, giving her goosebumps easily as her hair was up on a high bun.

"Have I ever told you that I love how slender your neck is?"

She giggled but didn't turn around. She was torn between hitting him or turning around to kiss him. She chose to keep facing the altar.

"Don't be rude and be quiet. They're about to say their vows. Chip practiced this in front of me so many times. I do hope he doesn't mess this up."

He took her hand and laced it with his. His mother, two seats up front, probably sensed him so she turned around and saw them together. She smiled fondly at her son, and motioned for them to keep quiet before turning back again to the altar. Chip was holding Grace's hands, saying his vows and sniffling.

"Is he crying?"

"He is. Oh, Chip, I told you to control it when we were practicing. Aww."

"He's always been a softie, that guy. But he's a good one."

"He misses you, you know. He'd probably hit you when he sees you later, though."

"What about you?"

"Oh, I'll hit you later, believe me."

He chuckled, squeezing her hand tightly. She leaned closer into him as they listened to the vows of the bride and groom.

//

The reception almost turned into a brawl as Chip punched him in the nose after seeing him. Their other friends stopped them, the bride scolding her new husband for acting too brash on their wedding day. She pulled Jay away, trying to control herself from laughing out loud at the silliness of the scenario. She apologized to Grace, who assured her that it was just ok, and that both guys were stupid and to wait how silly things will actually turn out. After calming down, both guys hugged it out and started to tease each other, as if nothing happened.