Derail

"Jay? What just happened?"

Jay could not answer Chip, as he looked on at the five men who are laughing and smacking each other's backs, their arms over each other's shoulders. They looked as if they were thirteen again, friends who have just seen each other after a long vacation. And for a slight moment, he saw some hope that things will turn out fine.

"Ah Jose, this is my son, Jay, and his friend Chip."

And then his father introduces him to the Mayor, whose mood changes as he turns his eyes to Jay.

"Of course. Jay Faulkerson. We met last night. Not a good way to meet, I must say, but I suppose that's why you went and asked your daddy and his friends for help."

"Now, Jose, let's not be cocky here..."

"I'm not being cocky, Bugs. Tell me, why are you all here, anyway? This is surely not a friendly get-together. Although I enjoyed our little reunion just a few minutes ago. But what's with all this surprise visit, after forty years? Are you ready to apologize for what happened to Leo?"

The huge office of the mayor was filled with silence. One could hear a pin drop, and its sound would bounce off the walls. Jay saw side glances from the older men, and he saw Chip clutch the pocket of his pants where the water gun was. He spoke up.

"Mayor Jose, I apologize if I caused a commotion last night. All I wanted was to see if Dei was fine."

"My goddaughter is fine. She's a strong young woman, can't you tell? Captain Sanchez would know that, of course. You've been going out for, what, two years now, Archie? I think she's just waiting for you to get on your knees and propose, isn't that right Archie?"

Jay's heart suddenly felt like it skydived from a thousand feet. He looked at the captain, who was now smirking at him. He wanted to lunge at him right there, but his dad held his hand and squeezed him, as if trying to calm him down. Chip leaned in.

"Oh, so he's not into you dude. Wrong signal. You want my watergun?"

Jay shot dagger looks at Chip, who stepped back. Jay took a deep breath and answered the Mayor.

"Of course. She's very brave actually, Mayor. I've never seen a woman her age stand up to a person in power like you."

Mayor Jose just gruntled and turned back to the other men. Bugs cleared his throat and spoke again.

"Jose, we all know that Leo's death was an accident. We were all there. We tried to save him, but it all just happened too fast."

"You left him there, Bugs. Walt was trying to save him, but you wanted to leave him there."

"Oh for crying out loud, Jose, you know that's not what happened!"

"You were a few meters away, Mike. I think it's you who doesn't know what happened!"

"Ok guys, calm down. Can we just sit down and talk about this like the grown men that we all are now?"

"Ah, Richard, always the peacemaker of the group. I suppose your son takes his brash behavior from your wife, then?"

"Now wait a minute..."

"Enough! Jose, this has gone on for so long now. Forty years, man! Why can't you just admit that it was all an accident? I was trying to save Leo, and Walt saved me! Come to think of it, I haven't even thanked Walt for saving my life back then!"

"Because Leo wasn't supposed to die! No one was supposed to get hurt that day!"

All eyes were on the Mayor, with his hands on his desk as he stared at each and every person inside his office. Bugs looked at Richard, who nodded. Jay saw this subtle exchange, wondering what these two were planning. Chip's mouth was hanging open, while the other two men were shaking their heads. Captain Sanchez held on to his gun tightly.