Spiral

He never anticipated for anything this much in his life before. In all his 25 years, everything felt very routine for him, and handed over to him quite easily. Except for the time when he got Rhonda, which he really saved up for. Though their family was one of the fortunate ones in the South, his parents still made him work for stuff that he really wanted. So he worked his ass off at the store of his uncle, and in six months he was able to save enough for the downpayment. He still has to work for the monthly payments and Rhonda's maintenance, but he's always been a good worker. And again, work had become part of a routine for him.

Until Dei came along, and somehow his life was jolted. After that incident on the tracks and his encounter with her brother (and his minions), he knew that this girl is more than someone whose foot he just saved. So when they agreed to meet up at the tree near the eastern tunnel, he felt like insides kept turning in excitement. And that didn't escape Chip from noticing.

"Jay, it's only one in the afternoon. Your lunch hasn't digested yet. You have three more hours before you see her."

"Huh?"

"You've weighed and re-weighed that kilo of rice about three times now. Unless you were waiting for it to get cooked then you're doing it all wrong."

"Oh. Uhm, what time is it? Maybe I should get going?"

"Three more hours, Jay. Sheesh. What are you, fifteen?! Chill, dude."

"Is this normal, Chip?"

"No."

"That's re-assuring."

"Hey, you ask, I answer. And you know I always answer truthfully. So what you're doing, definitely not normal. Especially for you."

"What do you mean?"

"Jay, you've always been the coolest among us. A lot of girls fall over you, not a few of them already married and they are still pining for you. Then you meet Dei, who is clearly not a damsel in distress save for that accident by the tracks, and your cool-guy image is suddenly demoted to teeny-bopper giddiness."

"That bad, huh?"

"You know it. But, I can't blame you. She is something. And she's clearly taken by you, too."

"You think so?"

"God, Faulkerson, you've got it bad! Since when did you need to be validated?! Stop re-weighing that rice and find something else to do until four!"

//

He wheeled along the tracks towards the eastern tunnel and even from afar, he could make out that she was already at their tree.

Their tree. He smiled at the thought that he was already claiming it to be theirs. Chip was right. He does have it bad.

She was sitting on the large roots, head bowed down and concentrating on something on her lap. He couldn't see it yet, but it looked like she was writing on a notebook. Her hair was tied in a high bun, a few tendrils falling on her face. He admired how soft her features were, but he loved how strong her personality is, a stark contrast to her physical daintiness. Her eyes were so focused on what she was writing that she didn't even look up when Jay parked Rhonda near her bike. He sat beside her, and he saw that she smiled even without looking up at him.

"You're early."

"You're earlier."

It was still half an hour before their set time of four in the afternoon. Chip let him go when he mistakenly marked off some items at the store at 50% instead of just 5%. So he quickly left the store, eager to surprise Dei yet he was the one surprised seeing her.