Rebuilding

It took more than a year of assistance from the South for the North to get back on its feet. It helped that the Northern folk were eager to start anew. The controversies over the death of their former Mayor still linger, but with Samuel (Sammy) Go as officially the new mayor after the emergency elections, a more positive atmosphere was beginning to be felt. Everyone was beginning to be hopeful, especially when the South brought in more investments into the town. Families and relatives started to visit, and plans were underway for the Southern University to open more slots for the Northern kids. And by some miracle, the gloom-filled clouds that hovered over the Northern town and affecting their fields have lifted, making crop harvests bountiful after a long dry spell.

Dei was most ecstatic over the town's transformation. She couldn't believe that her foot getting trapped on the tracks after her spying in the South would lead to a huge development after a year. Her brother transformed to an anger-filled young man to the town's administrator. After months of therapy, Harry's learned to adjust to walking on his prosthetic leg. Her dad refused to take any government position, no matter how many times Sammy offered him. Walt was content to improve their farm together with Mary.

She's been going on and on with all these realizations as Jay walked with her along the tracks one afternoon. It has become their routine to meet up at their tree, catch up with how each other's day went, and then they would go to either one's homes for dinner. Weekends meant having their families and friends over to the North, where Mary would cook together with Jay's mom, Rio. Their fathers and their gang would continue catching up on the lost years, surprising each other with how much have changed but they're still the same kids who raced together.

"It's been forty years but soon as my dad and your dad, Uncle Bugs and their gang start talking, they turn into the twelve and thirteen year-old kids they once were! They tease each other a lot!"

Jay laughed as he led her to the big roots of their tree. He sat down and pulled her to sit on his lap. She automatically put her arms around him, and went on talking.

"By the way, have you thought of what to buy Chip and Grace for their wedding? I was thinking of getting something they could use when they move in to their new house."

"How about a doormat? Those that say WELCOME."

"Seriously? Chip's your best friend. We should at least give them something more worthwhile. Hmm. Do you think Grace would appreciate it if we get them His and Hers towels? Or maybe bathrobes?"

He just smiled at her, then touched her nose with a finger.

"They'll love that. It'll force Chip to take a bath."

They were silent as they just sat there, the cool late afternoon breeze passing them. They could hear the six-o-clock train from a distance.

"Dei..."

"Hmm?"

"I've been meaning to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"It's been over a year since we first met, and I still thank the heavens that I saw you escaping on your bike that day."

She turned to look at him. Her heart started to beat fast, and she was trying to keep her thoughts from rushing ahead of herself. She could feel her hands starting to get cold, and maybe Jay felt it too, so he took her hands from around his neck and held them on his own. He looked intently into her eyes.

"And I will always be thankful that you trusted me enough to save you, to bring you back to the North, and to meet me here, at our tree, every afternoon."

He paused as he tucked a loose strand of her hair.

"These tracks may have once separated our towns, but it brought me to you. And... I do hope that you will understand what I am about to tell you."

Dei held her breath, unsure of what to feel and think. She doesn't know if she's ready for this, but at the same time she couldn't wait for what Jay was going to tell her.

"Dei, you know how much I love you. But...I'm leaving."

"I love you, too, Jay. And...WHAT?!"

***

Rebuilding. A process in which a locomotive is taken apart and put back together with new or reconditioned components, emerging from the shop as a more powerful or more efficient unit. This is done because it is cheaper to replace worn-out parts, possibly upgrading the locomotive at the same time, than to buy a whole new locomotive. (Railroading Glossary. TRAINS Magazine)