Chapter 42 - No Words

Good morning my dears. Early update before I head for work. Thank you guys for reading up to this point, it's been great so far and I love how we all seem to get along:)

 In every relationship, communication is always the key, but sometimes, words can fail you. When you love someone so much but can't seem to articulate what you want to say, a simple gesture is enough. A hug can convey what a thousand words cannot, and as I said in the past chapter, hug your parents whenever you can. 

This chapter reiterates that. A heartfelt hug can erase pain, sadness and suffering. The sense of touch is really strong, use it to convey what words cannot say. 

Have a great weekend, beshies :) 

"Maine.....I see your rings, and if I'm not mistaken, Alden is your fiance, not just your boyfriend. Parang biglaan ata na engaged na kayo just like that. How long have you been together at engaged na kayo? Are you pregnant?"

Maine felt so embarrassed at her father's question. It showed how little faith he had in her, and she felt animosity from her dad. Maine's mom tried to lighten things a bit and interevened.

"Teddy, why don't we let them explain things to us? Let's not assume anything."

"She didn't go home last Christmas, Annie. Is he the reason why?" He turned to Maine and waited for her answer.

"Dad, I'm not pregnant. I already told you why I wasn't able to go home last Christmas. I ran out of flights. I was so busy with work, I forgot to book for a flight home."

"You could have at least gone home after Christmas to see us. Pero no, maybe because you were preoccupied with your boyfriend."

"Teddyyyyy......"

"Sir," Alden interrupted. "Maine holds a really important position in Phoenix Development. As a Marketing Manager, her work peaks during the last and first quarters of the year, and it was a tough for us last year but her programs successfully pulled up our sales performance. She's new to the company and had to work doubly hard. You should be proud of your daughter, she delivered. Saka with all due respect sir, if Maine couldn't make it here, pwede naman kayo ang dumalaw sa kanya diba?"

Her father was silent, Maine's hand searched Alden's and squeezed it with gratitude. Annie smiled at her daughter.

"Big shot na pala ang anak ko. And I'm happy for you both. Alam mo Alden, I have always worried about Maine living alone in Manila. But since you're in her life now, I'm glad. May nag-aalaga na sa anak ko."

"Mom, Dad.......Alden and I have been together for eight months now. I'm sorry if it seems like nagmamadali kami. I just see no point in prolonging our engagement when I know he's the one for me. His parents will be coming tomorrow from Singapore to meet you."

"Okay, let's just meet here also, more convenient for everybody. Do you agree Teddy?"

"Fine."

"Alden, Maine tell's me you're an architect daw....."

Dinner progressed a little more smoothly after that, thanks to Annie's graciousness. They were able to catch up and Maine's nervousness eased up a bit. After a while, Teddy rose from his chair.

"I'll just go out for some air." Alden stood up as well.

"I'll go with you sir."

The two men walked left, leaving mother and daughter to talk on their own.

"Ang guwapo ng mapapangasawa ng anak ko ha."

"Mom.........hindi ka ba galit sakin?"

"No......why, because you got engaged?"