Chapter 24: What's the Worst that Could Happen

CHAPTER 24:
WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN

Alright.

I am not really the kind of person that's good at talking to strangers or about topics I never talked before.

Take my meeting with Blake for example.

I was dumb - I won't go easy on myself because I really was an idiot back then. Who the fuck agrees to marry someone after only having met them? Sleep over in stranger's house? The one you had a one night stand with?

I was the walking embodiment of "dumbness". If I were to describe my past self with one word, it's "dumb". Two - "fùcking dumb". Three - "abnormally fucking dumb". Four - "point of no return".

But whatever - my past self fished me a good husband, so I guess that it's forgivable.

But my past self ain't the main topic here. It's about my inability to speak about new things - and to be more precise, about the thing with me still being alive. Now, I figured that Ryan - the man who gave me job and treated me like his own daughter years ago - would be surprised to see me well and breathing, but boy do I have to do with that inability to speak of mine.

Or so I thought while biting my lip in silence as Ryan fell on the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Max, whom I considered my best comrade just seconds ago as he helped me get away from both Nikolas and Blake who were probably still bickering like five years old, stood next to me while contemplating between laughing his ass off and helping Ryan regain his consciousness.

As to what my inability to speak about being alive has to do with this... Well, it was probably my fault to stand in front of him without uttering a single word for while minute while opening and closing my mouth like a fish out of water.

Ah, right. I forgot about it, but Ryan is one of those people who rarely watch TV or don't watch it at all. High are chances that he didn't get news - even I'm amazed by how ignorant he could be on some matters.

The only thing he's interested in would be food and anything food-related.

Now that I think of it, he might've thought that I was a ghost or something.

"Well," I mumbled, "at least it can't get any worse."

Moving to the armchair close by, I put Christian down who haven't made a single sound ever since we arrived.

Me and Max hurried past everyone and immediately went to Ryan's office next to the kitchen when this happened. I'm somewhat grateful that it ended up like this - had we been where the customers are, it might've been a bit troublesome.

"Should we first prepare ice or wake him up. That was some loud cracking sound when he fell," Max replied and I inwardly groaned. If he broke a bone or two, that old fox won't be leaving me alone for a long time. He'll probably skin me alive before smoking my meat, grind my bones and dry my blood before using it as various spices for food as well.

Well, yeah - I did die all of sudden before coming back to life all of sudden, in his eyes. I could understand it... But wait!

Why the fuck am I so accepting of this?!

I shouldn't be!

Oi, brain? Don't go back to my past hormone-influenced dumb teenage-self!

Shaking my head before slapping my cheeks to clear my mind, I turned to Max.

"Help me to drag him to the couch first, then we'll think about what to do next," I said before taking Ryan's arms and pulling them up, "Grab his legs!"