| 1 |

My eyes open

My eyes open. The blasting sound of my alarm rings my ears. Swiftly I swing my arm over hitting the top and shutting it off. Groaning to myself, I roll out of my twin sized bed. I carefully remake my bed, tucking in the corners and straighten the lines. "Elena!" I hear my brother call from down the hallway. Surprisingly He's awake. He's never awake at 7am, usually he sleeps until I wake which is around ten when I've finished making breakfast and brewing the coffee.

"Elena, you up?" He calls again.

"Yeah, I'm up." I yell back. The noise of the coffee bean grinder makes it known that he trying hid attempt at making breakfast. Don't know how good it will be but I'm not complaining. I enter the kitchen, my brother a cooking mess. Pots, pans, spoons, and cups scattered the counter tops. The eggs and bacon sat at the very edge of the counter and quickly I make my way to them grasping them before we have scrambled eggs and bacon on the floor.

"Okay. What is this?" I say. Looking at the mess of a cook I call my brother. He's younger than by three years but thinks he's a real hot shot. He has a history with the ladies I'm not going to lie, he has his way with words. He's very smooth but right now I'm defiantly not seeing smooth.

"I - uh - wanted to make breakfast?" His eyes wonder around the kitchen as he takes in his mess. A small sly smirk appears on his lips as he catches my gaze again.

"Feels like you wanted to make a mess for me to clean up." I say then huff out a sigh. Turning around I then start to pick up all the dishes scattered around and place them in the sink. "Drew, why are you up?"

"Wanted to do something for you. Y'know." I nod my head with a light smile. My brother was rarely ever affectionate but when he was it was always a nice gesture.

"I work tonight. don't wait for me okay?" I say. I heard him huff something under his breathe and I knew a small complaint was coming. He never liked what I did. In fact he hated it, I was a money changer down by the bay where all the clubs are here in Sinaloa.

"I don't like you working there. A bunch of men rubbing against you, its just wrong." I hear the stool move, and his foot steps behind me before he standing next to me by the sink. His eyes pleaded with my own before he adds. "You can do better."

I didn't say anything back. I had no words. I knew he was right, in a small way he was right but in the larger way he was wrong. We had no money. Barely able to afford the home we live in now, being a money changer gave me high opportunities to find someone who was in out of state and looking for a good time but had money. That was my plan. That was how I was getting us out of here.

***
I stood on the corner. The warm wind of the night blows my hair slightly causing me to push what had fallen back. I glance around the area trying to see if I spot my usual customers. As my eyes wondered over the drunken bodies and my ears sounding out the loud Mexican music I hadn't notice the small silhouette beside until her words spoke in my ear. "You don't have to be here tonight."

Teresa Mendoza my partner in crime. My best friend. I've known her for the most part of my 23 years of living. We grow up a few House down away from each and naturally become friends. I was the person she went to when the Cartel killed her family, I protected her then so she protects me now - when I need it.

"I need the money Teresa." Teresa looks at me her eyes unclear to read. She wasn't a open, Teresa. She kept her self locked up only allowing people to know enough about her to trust her or feel sorry for her. Teresa smiled at me about to say something when her eyes caught sight of something in front of us - rather I should say someone.

Standing directly in front of us leaning against his car was a very attractive man with a huge smirk plastered on his face at he stared at me and Teresa. I glanced over at Teresa only to see her already staring at the man with a slight smirk on her lips. "Hola, do you need your money changed?" She said.

We then both started our way towards him. That's when I noticed the cigarette in his hand and I wanted to repulse. I hated those things.
"Just watching you two change money is enough."

I shake my head lightly with a small smile. He had game I would give him that. "How much?" I asked. My smile still lingering on my lips. as our stare still stands between each other. I wasn't the type to fall victim to a mans petty smirk and cheap pick up lines. Though this one, he was catching the butterflies in my stomach and setting off the stampede.

"Oh, my God, Guero. What's taking you so long?" A high pitched tone erupted from the car window and soon a women with really fluffy curly hair popped out. "Oh, my God." She started up again. "Look how pretty you two are. Look at those legs, Chino look how pretty these two girls are!" She started swatting at someone inside the car and suddenly I felt my face flush. "Oh girlies, you two are to pretty to be working here." The women continued as a balled man then popped his head up.

"What? Okay, they're pretty. Hey, you girls are beautiful. Are you two twins?" The man I assume is Chino said. The woman was in a fit of laughter and mumbled something under the lines of he's exaggerating or he always exaggerates?

Suddenly I felt a strong pair of hands grasp my waist and the horrible smell of nicotine and body odor filled my nostrils. His hands begin to wonder my body groping me around. I reach behind me sliding the money between his belt. Teresa's eyes where wondering anywhere else. She and I where used to the groping by this point and honestly I was thankful she wasn't the one working tonight. His breathe hit my ear sending uneasy chills down my spine as he whispered "I'm paying you to exchange money not flirt." In Spanish.

It was then that I finally Decided to look back at Guero. His gaze was rested heavily on my boss. I saw it in his eyes that he most definitely didn't like what he was seeing. My stomach started to twist when he started walking towards me. His jaw clenched, chest heaving. His hand wraps around my wrist gently pulling me to the side. I heard my bosses voice start up but quickly fade as Guero grabbed him by the collar and pulled him to the hood of his car slamming his face down on it. A scream erupts from my throat, my hands fly to my mouth as I watch the scene unfold before me.

"You ever do that to another girl, I'm gonna find you. Alright?" He slams his face down again blood had already started to pools from his head. His eyes swelling, lips busted and purple. I've got to be honest, this was the sweetest anyone has ever done for me.

Guero slammed his body to the ground. His eyes coming back up to meet mine. His curly hair falling down into his face, the sweat starting to trickle his forehead. I don't even know this man but I can tell you I'm already hooked. "So . ." He says as she stands in front of me reaching into his pocket for another cigarette. "Now that you're out of a job, you two coming with us?"