Chapter sixteen

I was relaxing on the couch in Steve’s warm robe when the door opened and Steve appeared.

“Hi. Sorry it took so long. I got side tracked.”

“No worries I was just admiring your couch.”

“I am glad you like each other.” He handed me a plastic bag. “I didn’t know what size you were.”

I took the contents out of the bag. “This is perfect thank you.”

“I will put your blood on the counter in the kitchen while you get dressed.”

“Thank you.” I disappeared into the bathroom and got dressed.

The t-shirt was way too big, but I didn’t really care. As long as I never have to wear that Hydra uniform ever again I am happy. I exit the bathroom and walked into the kitchen. Steve was sitting at the table, coffee cup in his hand. I grabbed one of the blood bags and turned my back to him as I bit into the bag.

When finished I threw the empty bag into the bin and joined him at the table. I placed my hand over his as a tear escaped his eye.

“You are very lucky you know.”

“Why do you say that?”

“You got to see him last.”

Tears started running freely over my cheeks. “The last time I saw him he tried to kill me. I never got to say goodbye.”

An awkward silence.

“I have an idea. Will you come with me?”

“Sure, as long as it doesn’t involve sunlight.”

He laughs. “No it doesn’t. Do you trust me?”

“I do.”

He grabs his keys from the counter. “Come on then.”
In the car there were these small moments were I felt his eyes on me.

We parked the car in front of an old building.

“Smithsonian Institution. What’s in there?”

“There is a section dedicated to Captain America.” He took a deep breath. “And a tribute to Bucky. I brought you here so you can say goodbye.”

“Thank you Steve. This will help with the healing process.”

He handed me a jacket and a cap. I put them on and got out of the car. I placed my hands into the pockets and walked with a quick pace toward the building.

Once inside Steve joined me and we walked toward the Captain America section. A small boy recognised him and he asked him to be quiet. I saw the tribute to Bucky and came to a standstill in front of it.

I looked up into his eyes while tears are leaving mine. “Goodbye Bucky.” I looked down at his smile on the screen, he looked happy.

Steve placed his hand on my shoulder. “Come sweetheart.”

We entered a room that looked like a movie theatre and sat down watching the film. And then I saw her. She was talking about how Steve changed her life and how he rescued her soon to be husband.

“Peggy...”

“Yeah can’t believe that is the same woman I saw 2 days ago.”

“Wait. She’s still alive?”