5. Redemption

She couldn't be sure if the ringing in her ears was from the alarm wailing overhead, or from the quickening reaction spreading throughout her body like wildfire. She'd injected herself with all of the serum-every bit of it. There was no way to describe how she felt in that moment; pain, ecstasy. Even though she felt like she might split apart at any second, at least she had conviction, and she knew she was about to fulfill her destiny. That made it worth it. Angel tried to put it all away-to not think about the rest-as she rounded the corner and peered into the room. Inside she found her target, and she panted heavily as her entire form began to quake with the power within.

"It's over." She seethed, watching as her nemesis swiveled around to look at her. The dark skinned woman looked surprised at first. Then not at all.

"I'd say it surely is." Monica figured it out. "Bravo, I get it. You used Mr. Warren to sound the alarm and draw the attention out there. Now you're free to come in here unopposed. What do you hope to accomplish, dear girl? This will be your tomb."

"For once we agree on something," the pain surged, becoming too much to bear, and the faux hybrid knew she wouldn't last much longer. The way her gut tore at itself caused her to cry out, and she accidently set the wall ablaze. Maybe she had some regret, here, in the eleventh hour, but she had to make this sacrifice. For honor, for glory. For redemption. "Everything comes to pass, and true to the prophecy my life is forfeit to end your tyranny. I've injected myself with the serum that Alistair stole from you. All that power, from all those species, its mine."

"Are you that foolish? You can't overdose yourself on that much serum, you'll go nuclear." The Karthix woman gasped, clearly afraid. Good, she should be. It gave Angel satisfaction, and as the villainess tried to escape she embraced the pain, letting it claw its way from her body in an explosive wave to knock her down. There was no going back then, not once it'd been unchained, and the power that was within her cut loose, boiling over and burning white hot. This was it. This was the end. Everything that she had been through, all the horrible things, they would be cleansed in this death by fire.

But also everything good and right would be erased too. Faces flashed through her head; her team-Corbin, Wanda, Frank. Her lover, Charlie. And of course, Alistair. But she would see them all again, on the other side. That was what she wanted, right? Yet she couldn't stop herself from crying as she came apart, the power exploding when it became too great. It shook the earth, blinded her, and then all at once she didn't feel the pain anymore. It was over, and everything was quiet and still.

But it could never really be over.

"Insolent wretch." The voice broke through the darkness, through the silence, and as it spoke to her she wondered why she wasn't dead. Suddenly she could see again, though her vision was hazy, and all that surrounded her was the shroud of dust. But then she could see something else, glowing. A pair of silver eyes. "You have been given such a gift. Was it not I who plucked you from mundanity to offer you everything that you so coveted? Yet here you are, squandering it like the stupid creature you are. Ah, but this is my gift to give, and mine to take away. You will find that death will not be so forgiving."

When things had settled she was able to see who addressed her- but she'd already known. The body of the redheaded witch, Myrna, stood in front of her, though she knew it wasn't her. No, she'd met the entity that inhabited her body once before, and she wondered at his words now as the pain slowly began to return to her. Suddenly it was worse than it had been before, and she wanted to scream. He seemed to sense that, and he smiled. Then he turned to look behind him, where Monica lay unconscious at his feet. Unconscious, but alive. He had intervened to save her. After all, he had plans for her. When only a moment had passed he put his steely gaze back on Angel and laughed.