9. Can't Run From the Truth

Austin was glad that everything had started to settle down again, that enough time had passed that both Cliff and Toby were no longer afraid to let him be alone. He loved them, and their worry was touching, but he was glad to be able to breathe. Work was going well, as it usually did, and he made his rounds to check on his patients. This was pretty much all he was able to do so far-assess and recommend treatment-because he still had a ways to go before he was able to practice on his own. Yet he had been progressing far faster than anyone had anticipated, and he'd created quite a stir within the supernatural medical community. That made him proud.

No matter all the things that had happened throughout the years, there was still so much good he could do. Maybe it would never make up for it, but at least he was trying. For just a second he entertained Vorne's proposal, wondering about its validity. If he allowed himself to be killed, and for the potent warlock to absorb his energy, could time really be reversed? If it was true, Austin understood just how much power he held in his hands-power that would certainly atone for the years of pain and death. But the idea was problematic for a singular reason, and he gave it no further thought as he approached the room of the most recent intake.

He didn't know anything about the new patient, only that she'd just arrived this morning. Apparently someone had found her, disposed of and hidden away. The other doctors thought she might've been out there for a week or so before being discovered, and they were astonished that she'd survived. But then again, she wasn't exactly human. Austin was quite eager to see this woman, apparently she had a body that was mostly made of machine. It wouldn't be the first cyborg he'd met, but he was interested in determining the similarities.

His excitement faded when he saw her though. It had been a long time, and she had indeed changed a lot, but he identified her instantly. Angel. His heart didn't sink because it was her, no, it sank because he knew what it meant. Toby had denied the new prophecy that Blair had foreseen because Angel had been a part of it, and surely it couldn't be real since the faux hybrid was very much dead. Only, here she was, very much alive, and suddenly Austin realized just how close this brought them to the end. He began to shake, and he stumbled out of the room as he fumbled with his cellphone.

Over at the magic shop though, Percy was feeling anything but afraid as she wandered in. In fact, she was feeling better than she had in her entire life. She was basically a real girl again, and she finally had hope and purpose. She had romance, family, a clear path set out in front of her as she worked at redemption. Yes, things really were looking up for her, and she wasn't sure why it had to be so bad for her friend. Myrna continued on in her depression, and the grief that had gripped her showed no sign of letting go. Though that was about to change, because she had a plan to find some peace for herself.

"Thanks for visiting Myrna Mae's Magic Market. I'm sorry, but we're closed." The redheaded witch called, her eyes fixated on the cash register as she dug out some money.

"It's just me," the corporeal phantom proceeded in further, looking between her friend and the tidy suitcase that sat next to the counter, packed and ready to go. "You taking a trip somewhere?"

"Don't worry about it. Is there something you want?"

"Wow, is that really how it's got to be? No, I just thought I'd come check on you, you've been pretty bummed lately. Never mind, I shouldn't have bothered, I thought we were friends is all."

"Wait, I'm sorry." Myrna called, stopping the young blonde from leaving. "You weren't supposed to see this, I was planning on leaving a note. I won't be gone long, I just didn't want to cause a scene."