6. What Once was Lost

They all knew better than to speak up while Toby was in the midst of a tirade. Already his anger was hot, threatening to burn the shop to the ground, and none of them wanted to taste it personally. It wasn't exactly like they could blame him though, after all, he was naturally quick tempered-especially when Austin was involved. It hadn't taken long before they'd figured out the nubile demon doctor was missing, and in response they had all come together in a meeting to discuss what they planned to do about it. Of course that meant letting their impassioned leader vent all of his frustrations before they even began.

"How the hell did this happen? Again! How does a person get kidnapped twice?" Toby snarled, eyeing the bulky cop suspiciously, "it better not have been you this time!"

"Okay, first of all, ow, that really hurts. I'd like to think that I've earned back your trust after so many years." Cliff was mortified at the accusation, but he tried not to take it too personally, considering that he understood the circumstance. "Secondly, I already started putting my feelers out before you got here. I radioed in to the station, called in some favors, and I even tried using my new spell to bring back things that are lost. No luck yet, with any of that, but I'm trying."

"He's been with me, he's telling the truth." Myrna added. "Austin's out there, hon, don't you worry about it-we'll find him. There isn't one person in this room who doesn't love him, who wouldn't die for him."

"Yeah, and besides, he couldn't have gotten very far. I'm sure he's right under our noses, let's just get out there and look." Percy worked to reassure him.

"I know right where to start," Toby was gruff, calmer than before. Yet the fire remained, "this is Monica's work for sure, or maybe Vorne's. That stupid ass kid probably got to him."

"Listen, I completely agree with you, but it's important we take things slow and really think this out so we don't mess anything up. Especially if Monica or Vorne is involved." Cliff dared to speak again.

"He doesn't have time!" The hybrid snapped.

"What need would Zenoya have of him?" Qui'hara finally interjected. That was the last thing she needed, for them to force a wedge even further between her sister and redemption. No matter the villainess' master plan with the demons and blood, she could still be saved. "Her plan for him has long since passed."

"Maybe she's right," it was Myrna who followed her lead, "Monica hasn't showed any interest in him since her project with the super soldiers. We can still check it out, I'm just saying we should keep our distance. And Cliff has a point whether you want to hear it or not, we've lost too much by rushing into these kinds of situations unprepared. I know how important he is to you, but he's proven that he can take care of himself. It's not like it was the first time; he's stronger now."

"That was when he would fight! Don't you get that?" Toby loathed the lacking sense of urgency among them. He could tell they were worried, that they cared, but why didn't they feel the uncontrollable need to bring him home?

"A very good friend of mine once told me that strength comes in many different forms," the redheaded witch eyed the demoness, "he'll survive. Even when we get him back, how do you plan to keep him safe then? I'm more interested in figuring out how they got to him in the first place." Now she eyed a different member of the group.

"This is bullshit, sit there and debate this all you want, but I'm going to do something about it! I'll find Monica myself, and I'll make that bitch talk." The fire left when Toby did, and they were all quiet in his absence. Qui'hara was the first to move, saying nothing to them as she exited the shop as well. Maybe she was going to help their leader, or maybe she had some ideas of her own, they didn't know, but they were otherwise occupied. Cliff was next, gathering his stuff and going to the door.