8. Severing the Ties that Bind

Things were certainly different than how they'd been before. It was about five years ago that Austin had been kidnapped by Monica, who experimented on him in pursuit of her super soldiers. He had been weak then, and it had taken him a long while to recover from the trauma. But he was strong now, and it hadn't taken any time at all to move on from what had happened with Ryan. The only thing he still carried around from his encounter with the boy was his guilt-the not knowing how he was responsible for destroying him. Still, life went on, and Austin showed no reservation as he returned to work to pick up where he had left off.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that you're here, but I'm not sure I really need you," maybe he'd moved on, but the others were not so forgiving. It wasn't without consequence that he was allowed to return to his life, and he eyed his protective detail affectionately. "And I imagine that being here can't be easy for you."

"It's not," Cliff confessed, his hand absently moving to the necklace he still wore. It was the only thing that remained of Nina. Well, not the only thing. There was this, the demon hospital-the thing she had started and nurtured and loved. It was her legacy. "But I'm comforted knowing that this place is everything she wanted it to be. Look, try not to think about it like I'm just here because Toby asked me to be. I'm here because I need to know you're safe too."

"That's sweet." Austin commented, continuing on his rounds. "But I don't think they'd try the same thing twice-I'll be fine, you guys don't have to worry so much."

"You're his husband, it's his job to worry. I think you'd be the same way, don't you? And I've got to be here to look out for you in case something does happen. Maybe you're right, maybe they won't dare come here again, but until I can be sure of that this is the way it has to be. We're blood, I'm going to protect you-that's what big brothers are for." The cop was reassuring, ignoring the way the people in the hall ogled him.

"Thank you." The shorter man stopped fully, offering his full attention with sincerity in his eyes. "I mean it. And again, that's really sweet, but I don't need you getting yourself into trouble by ditching your post to hang out with me down here."

"Actually, this is my post. The chief is a big believer in what you're all doing, he was more than happy to lend a hand."

"Your boss knows about this kind of thing? Demons and monsters and magic?"

"Of course. Who do you think is on the front line? Who do you think takes all the calls like this? He'd have to be pretty dense not to know. It's not like everybody is in on the secret, but there's even a special division dedicated to dealing with supernatural stuff. I mean, hell, it wouldn't surprise me if all the people in power knew."

"Huh, I guess you learn something new every day. Well, if it's cool for you to be here then I don't mind the company. Hopefully you won't be too bored."

"Not a chance." Cliff beamed, his grimoire appearing. "I've got plenty to do. I just figure I'll continue messing with my spell, see if can ferret out the issue. Speaking of which, are you coming home with me after work for some more magic lessons, little brother?"

"Probably not tonight-I'm looking forward to a little quiet time with Toby. It's for the best anyways, he's like you," Austin chuckled, "he wants to make sure nothing jumps out and grabs me. I think he's still a little upset that I told him not to kill that boy, Ryan."

"Yeah, I'm sure it would've made him feel much better knowing that he was out of the equation. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. You know, I spent so long thinking that I was righteous, that I was a good and just man. Then all that stuff happened with you, Nina, and Monica, and I found out that wasn't true. It was hard for me to deal with, and I know I looked for answers in the wrong place. But I've been sober for close to half a year now, so I'm learning. That's what this has all been-me learning to define what I really am. It was too easy for me to put the blame elsewhere, but I've never felt better than I do now, ever since I've taken full responsibility for my screw-ups. I'm happy. I'm glad you're finding your way too."