10. A Million Burning Suns

Vorne was cocky, beaming proudly from the deal that he'd just finagled. He shook hands with the villainous demon, preparing to part ways as he grabbed up his briefcase and stood. The day was starting out well. Then it turned sour. His grin faded as a ball of red fire shot over his shoulder and hit his new business partner, instantly burning him to ash. The attack filled the room with panic, and a series of frightful screams erupted as another volley of fireballs were launched. They found their place, and fire caught all around them as Vorne turned to assess the threat, throwing up his hand just in time to stop the burning mass that had almost made impact. Not that it would've hurt him.

"Who do you think you are?" Toby burst through the flames, the blaze having already risen to a steady smolder. Sirens approached quickly, but he didn't stop as he approached his enemy, shoving him hard and setting his expensive suit on fire from the heat in his hands.

"Watch it." Vorne hissed, employing a surprising dexterity as he grabbed his son and pushed him away. He then shed his jacket, letting it burn in a heap on the ground. He inspected it for a moment, distracted, and he almost missed the next attack. But he was ready just in time, and he moved to block the attempt with his forearm, staring into the younger man's fiery eyes. "What are you doing? I don't want to hurt you."

"Too late!" The hybrid was already worked up, to the point of being irrational, and by then they were completely engulfed in the roaring fire that had overtaken the building. He glared back with such hate, knowing already that he was outmatched, but it wouldn't stop him, and he twisted around to jab his opponent's stomach with his other hand. It worked, and he watched him stumble back as he held his arms out to either side, the flames from his hands licking their way up to his shoulders. "Tell me it's a lie. Tell me you aren't my father!"

"Who told you that?" The boss was startled, disarmed because he hadn't been expecting this confrontation. The sirens outside were loud, but the carnage around them was louder, and he focused on it as he tried to think of what he should say. He'd always been so charismatic and well-spoken, but now he was at a loss. Still, he had to say something. "It doesn't matter."

"The hell it doesn't!" Of course it mattered, and Toby couldn't bear to hear the excuses. He rushed forward, ready with a heavy swing as he aimed to do more damage. Yet the old Pyroclast demon had been around for a century or two, and he was a far more seasoned fighter. He was able to brace for the attack, but that didn't stop his son, and they went back and forth like that for too long. He knew he could've ended the fight easily, but he'd given his word to never hurt him, and that wasn't a promise he intended to break.

"You're my son, it's true, and no matter what I've always loved you." Vorne tried to reach out to him, and he became vulnerable. It shouldn't have surprised him so much to receive the elbow to his face in return, and as he staggered back he was suffered to a series of other attacks that landed and fueled his child onward.

"Bullshit! You made me to be a sacrifice," for Toby it had gone beyond the realm of good and evil. Now it was personal, and even though he shouldn't have cared, even though he shouldn't have been so shocked when Cliff told him, he couldn't help from feeling betrayed. "You work with the bastards who want me dead!"

"Enough!" With a quick flick of the wrist, Vorne emitted a blast of energy that knocked the hybrid back and shook the foundation of the charred building. As it began to collapse he recited the Latin incantation and waved his hand, completely freezing the world around them. The fire paused in its place, and all was silent as Toby stood back up and watched him. It was personal for Vorne too, and how dare he act that way when he had no clue. "You could never know what I've done to keep you safe, you ungrateful child. Maybe it started out that way, but things changed when you were born. Everything I've done has been for you, to keep you safe, and this is how you repay me?"