Interrogation

...

MARCO

• ♢ •

...

I kept anxiously fidgeting my leg under the table. They had cuffed my wrists to the table, probably thinking I needed to be contained. Not only that, they had held me down, pressing my face down on the table and began doing the same to my wings too. They tied them together so I couldn't even feel them. My wings had went numb after a while.

They had dragged me so far down the hall, the light of the Above doesn't shine as bright as it used to. Just like that, I knew even the Above had deep, dark places for people who are extra special. The angels had forced me to that special place, just for me. At least the Devil had politely gestured you to the pit of fire below before he pushed you in.

That was when it came to me that the angels weren't any different from the demons. It was a bit funny, actually. The Above had the same hospitality as the Underworld.

As I waited impatiently for someone to come through the door, I stared down at the table in a daydream. I wondered what they had done to Star. I wondered where they had taken her. I fantasized that, judging by the light of the hall they had dragged her down, it had to be at least somewhere hopeful. Maybe she was getting the help I had hoped she would get, bringing her back to the light where she belonged and bringing the white back to her wings. I then imagined her with a brand new halo and wondered if she would be given a new one or would repossess her old one as it faded back into view above her golden blonde head.

But, what if it wasn't true? What if I was filling my mind with ignorant conspiracies? The other, darker side of the possibilities, I didn't want to even delve further into.

I decided to distract myself with the only source of light that was welcomed into the room by a small square-shaped opening from the door, a window, with prison bars. The natural light illuminated from that tiny window and hit the floor of the inside of the room, giving its own silhouette. I stared at it, watching it as if I was afraid that it would leave.

Suddenly, it did when the heavy door of the interrogation-like room had swung open, bringing a whole new amount of light inside. A fairly tall man had come through, breaking the silence and darkness. He carried a tinted blue pair of wings behind him, full of feathers, along with the same design of wings as the last angel I had seen. His wings, however, seemed to be a bit wider in size. He wasn't very young, yet didn't appear to be very worn or old either. Nonetheless, he still had a medium-length, grey beard and still had a full head of hair, yet was the same shade of grey as his beard.

I jolted up immediately, unable to sit still for another second. "Where is she?"

When he answered, his voice was low volume and gravelly. "That is none of your business." He sounded unfriendly and I could tell his patience for me had already run out. Aside from what I had previously thought everyone had dressed like in the Above, he was wearing a white button up shirt with long, black, slick pants and matching shoes. "Did you think you could just wander your way up here?" He said as he took a seat down across from me at the cold, metallic table.

I raised an eyebrow. He was awfully quick to enter and already have an impression of me. "Sorry," I said. My voice was mumbled, but I was confident when I spoke. My tone held sarcasm. "The wind current was so strong, it must've blown me in."

"The wind current may be just a wind current, yet, it does not make the accident of bringing a demon to the Above." He answered as if he was ready, preparing for this conversation all his life. "What is your name, kid?"

"That is none of your business." I mocked, a tiny smirk taking on my face as I enjoyed my pride and humor.

"Quit your mimicking. This is a serious matter. The angels already know we have a demon on our hands. They're afraid, y'know. Tell me, what are you doing here?" He leaned forward and folded his hands together on the table. Now, I really did feel like I was in an interrogation.

"I came to bring her back. She doesn't deserve the Underworld."

To this, he let out a lengthy and unnecessarily exaggerated laugh, unnerving me, making me rethink my confidence. "So the demon thought he could play angel for a day? Listen, kid. You mustn't mess with the balance of the angels and demons. If an angel sins, they are not welcome back to the Above. They earn their way to the Underworld, just like angels earn their way to the Above. You cannot cheat your way back into the Above from a hateful sin. It's time you understand people and where they belong."

"Please... uh, sir. Look, Star is a good person. She doesn't deserve to be-"

"Look, kid," He sighed. "I know she is. But still, that will not change how she had turned her back on the Above's laws. There is no redemption." He had interrupted me once again, this time, with a stern and forceful glare.

"Please," I sighed heavily, trying to calm myself before I lost my temper. It was as if angels weren't the cooperating type. I must have broken something inside of him by the desperate way I was looking that his eyebrows raised. "She was never meant to be like a demon. She's an angel. You can't hold her accountable for one little thing. I mean, it's not my fault she-" I stopped myself. Did I really want to say it? What would he think anyway if I told him?

"What did she do?" There it was. The curiosity was kicking in. He was going to find out eventually.

I inhaled. Then, exhaled the words. "She... kissed me."