Liar, Liar

Hey y'all! Yes, it's a new chapter! Yay! Sorry for the month-long hiatus! This chapter nearly killed me to write but in my defense, it was a pretty long chapter and it is setting up for the whole, messy court trial to come.

Strap in, folks! The next chapters will be so exciting!

Anyways, enjoy!

...

I overheard scratchings onto paper and turned to notice the two other men had now begun to jolt down notes, notes of which I had no clue. I discovered them to be no more than spectators and when they were done writing, they laid their feathered utensils down and waited for more documentation.

"Wait, but what happens if I lie?" Ever since they had attached the bracelet on, it had started keeping a light rhythmic beep, yet I could already feel my heartbeat quickening.

"What is your name?" He proceeded on, as if to disregard my worry.

"Marco..." I was about to say my last name, yet then I realized that as my voice trailed off, I didn't actually know.

"Your full name, Marco." He said, impatience thin yet still noticeable in his tone. I shook my head as silence had taken upon us.

Usually, I would've said Lucitor. It was the last name that I've always known. Yet, it wasn't my real name.

I'd been living a true lie.

"I... I don't know my full name." My voice was a whisper. "M-Marco... Lucitor... was what I used to..."

Through the quiet and stillness of my answer, the bracelet remained at a steady pace. James sat back now, as if to give it a thought and consider me. His hand cradled his chin, supporting his head.

More distant scratchings onto paper.

"How old are you?"

"I'm..." Another question I was unsure of. Usually, I would've said that I was a hundred and fourteen, but not anymore. It was funny how much someone can take your life and give another one. "I'm... I'm not sure."

These are only the easy questions, just the basics, yet they were already beginning to deplete me.

I guessed James wasn't very fond of that answer, considering his stare now scanned over to Comet briefly, then back to me.

"Is there... anything that you are certain of, Marco?" I could hear the edge of his voice. His patience now had to be wearing.

I thought on the question, processed it in my head. It took me only a few seconds to respond.

"My favorite color is red." A slight smirk pulled at the corner of my mouth and I lowered my face to avoid his judgement.

An expression of some sort of defeat came across James' face. He leaned forward, away from the back of his chair to interlink his hands together on the table. The silence stretched uncomfortably while his stare burned through me, studying me, trying to figure me out.

The bracelet around my wrist held a rhythm, almost like a slow metronome.

"You know, you were so sure of yourself, the first time we met." He concluded at last. "Why so... quiet... all of a sudden? I cannot quite help but feel you've got more to say."

I must have left the question hanging in mid air for too long that Comet intruded. I felt a heavy weight lift from my chest, an audible sigh come from deep within.

Comet's hand came down on my shoulder once again, a reassuring reminder of her presence, a sort of comfort.

"He... cannot remember much, James. He's been... under a spell for a while."