Chapter One

Fall awoke and, realizing it was sunrise, stood up and stretched. Maple was still asleep next to him. He decided to hunt.

First, Fall warmed up to crouch and leap. He flexed his claws. Then he sniffed around, looking for prey. Once Fall found something, he followed the scent. It was a bird.

Birds were tricky to catch for Fall. They had wings, so they could easily get away. But Fall would try to catch birds whenever he could. Maple loved birds.

Fall crouched, slowly inching toward the sparrow. He sprung. The bird ruffled its feathers. As it did, Fall landed right on top of it. The bird chirped loudly. Fall growled softly. It was always bad when prey called out. But Fall killed it swiftly, burying his prey so a cat from the rogue group wouldn't find it. Fall began searching for his next piece of prey.

Unfortunately, there was no prey to be found. The bird had scared everything away. He sighed. Despite this setback, the gray tabby tom refused to give up.

Hours later, he still hadn't caught anything. He was just about to give up when he heard the slightest movement at the base of a tree.

Fall crouched, remembering to be light on his feet. A few minutes later, he had caught a mouse. He decided to head back to Maple. She might be wondering where he was. He was beginning to walk back when he saw something peculiar.

It was a leaf. Just a plain old leaf. But it was falling up. Fall blinked and it was gone.

Fall was sure it was just a trick of the light or something. Though, Fall was fairly certain of what he had seen. He shook his head.

A blinding orange pelt leaped out from the bushes to Fall's left. The gray tabby hissed. His mouse was knocked out of his jaws. The orange tom had unsheathed his claws and yowled a cry for battle. The gray tabby slashed the orange tom's muzzle in retaliation. The orange tom was shocked for only a moment, but a moment was all Fall needed to knock the tom off of him. Fall leaped up, panting. The orange tom stood up slowly as well.

Fall gained a chance to assess his attacker. He was muscly and well fed. He must be from the rogue group.

The rogue group was a horrible organization ruled by a tyrant named Vex. They had taken over the area in just a few short moons. Everyone associated with Vex was a horrible cat, and none of them could be trusted. The rogue group was constantly stealing prey and attacking the loners in the area, which included Maple and Fall.

The orange tom had a cream underbelly. He also had darker orange stripes on his cheeks and back, as well as rings around his paws. He had cream colored paws and the underside of his tail was the same cream. He had eyes that were just a darker version of the sky. His pelt was covered in scars that seemed to have swollen up. His fur was matted and the patches around his scars were covered with dried blood. Fall almost felt bad about fighting him. Almost.

The orange tom was still out of breath, so to stall, he began to speak.

"Do you know who I am?" the orange tom tried to fluff up his pelt, but Fall saw the fear in his sky-blue eyes. "I am Flame, second in command of the rogue group ruled by Vex! And I am going to make sure you don't forget it."

"Isn't the second in command a black tom, not an orange one?" the gray tabby meowed, calling Flame's bluff.

Flame opened his jaws, probably to shoot back an angry retort, but something caught his eye. Fall turned to see what the orange tom was looking at.

It was a leaf. The same leaf Fall had seen earlier. But it was on fire. It was flying, and on fire. Slowly, Fall turned his gray eyes back to the orange tom.