Chapter Three

The sandy-brown tom opened his grassy green eyes and stretched his legs. He accidentally bumped against the gray tabby she-cat he was laying against. He quietly stood up, hoping he hadn't woken her. Fortunately for him, she appeared to be in a deep sleep.

Field padded over to the puddle near the back of his den and lapped at the water, quenching his thirst. He decided he would go out to hunt. The gray tabby would probably not wake up for a little while, and even if she did, she wasn't fit to walk far.

Field exited his den and saw that it was almost dawn. He could still see the stars, though. Field loved to sit and watch the stars. He hadn't been here long, but he wondered if his father was staring at the stars sometimes, too. I wonder if he would be excited to see me, or would he just send me away again?

After a few moments, Field decided to move on. He needed to catch something for the gray tabby she-cat and himself to share. He sniffed the air, trying to find anything that would be awake at this time of day.

After a moment, he caught scent of a vole coming from his right. He turned to face it and dropped down into the hunter's crouch. Luckily for the sandy brown tom, the wind was blowing towards him. Field stalked ever closer to it before leaping into the air and landing right on top of the vole. It let out a squeal before Field dealt the killing blow. The sandy brown tom grabbed the piece of fresh-kill in his jaws and headed for home.

When he got back, Far was already awake. The gray tabby she-cat was lashing her white tail back and forth. She eyed the vole in his mouth warily. The sandy brown tom dropped it at her paws. The gray tabby didn't eat it.

"You still haven't told me anything about you. I want to know something," the she-cat meowed irritably. Field shrugged and shook his head.

If only I could, mysterious gray tabby. If only I could.

"If I tell you something about me, will you tell me something about you?" the gray tabby insisted.

How can I tell this she-cat that I can't? Field shook his head, frustrated. Then, he thought of something.

The sandy brown tom unsheathed his claws. The she-cat had a moment of fear in her sky-blue eyes. Then she, too, unsheathed her claws. Field heard her growl.

Instead of attacking the gray she-cat, Field brought his claws to close to his throat, but far enough away so he wouldn't hurt himself. He then made a swift motion, as if he had clawed his throat. It took the gray tabby a moment to relax, but when she did, she understood. Her blue eyes widened.

"You're a mute?" she cried, and Field nodded. "That makes so much sense! But how did it happen? Has it just been that way your whole life?" the sandy brown tom sighed.

"Oh. Right," the gray tabby bent her head and sighed sadly. Field wasn't sure what to do, so he curled up next to the tabby she-cat.

"By the way, my name's Far."

Far. That's a nice name.

Field stood up, deciding to test out Far's health. He began to nudge Far to get up too. She did so with little persuasion.

"What are you doing? Are we going somewhere?" she asked skeptically, but did not protest as Field hurried out of his den.

"You know, I still have no reason to trust you," Far meowed. "I don't even know your name."

Field stopped. Far stopped with him, staring at the sandy brown tom. How can I tell her my name?  Field was still for a moment, then shook his head and continued on.

"Will you at least try to tell me where we are going?" the gray tabby begged. Field stopped again. Where were they going? Field hadn't had a set destination, he just wanted to see how far the she-cat could go, to see how much longer she would need Field. But it was getting dark. They needed to eat. Field shook his head in frustration.

How could I forget the trip back? I'm so dumb sometimes. Maybe my father was right...

Far must have noticed Field's posture slouch and his tail droop, because she was by his side in an instant.

"What's wrong? Was it something I said? I'm sorry," Field thought that was all she had to say, but the gray tabby continued. "I'm sorry I've been so ungrateful. I'm not a very trusting cat, but you've been as nice as you could to me. And I've just been horrible. How about I catch us some prey now, huh?"

Far sniffed the air and bounded away before she could get a response. Field settled down in the long grass.

It's getting late. We should probably get somewhere other than this field. I guess we could head to the Twolegplace; that's not far from here. I know some places around there that are safe. And it would just be for tonight.

It was only a short amount of time before Far was back with a mouse in her jaws. The two ate quickly and, when they finished their meal, continued on. Field now had a good idea of where they were going. It did not take them long to get to the Twolegplace, but it was almost pitch black when they arrived.

"Why did you take me to the Twolegplace?" Far meowed, confused. Field shrugged, unable to answer. He glanced at the gray tabby. Her blue eyes were filled with confusion, but also curiosity. Field would be lying if he said he wasn't the least bit curious about it, either. He had never been in the Twolegplace. The only thing that made him reconsider was the tiredness in his mind.

The sandy brown tom turned to his right, where there was a large cypress tree. At the base of the trunk were many exposed roots, and some of them were far enough above ground that Field could easily slip underneath them. They were surprisingly comfortable, as Field had figured out on his first trip to the Twolegplace. The gray tabby she-cat had followed him, but she was still eyeing the Twolegplace when she crawled underneath the roots of the tree.

"Mystery cat, I know you can't really respond, but can we go explore the Twolegplace tomorrow?" the sandy brown tom heard the hope and excitement she was trying to contain in her voice. Field didn't know if Far could tell, but he nodded. Field thought he heard the she-cat purring.

And for the first time in his life, he would have purred if he could.