Chapter Four

A gray tabby tom arched his back and opened his copper eyes. He winced as he felt the pain from the scar on his shoulder, which was swelling a little more every day. He shook his fur, trying to ignore the pain. Pain was a weakness, and weakness was not allowed.

"Hey, Fish!" some cat shouted from outside the bramble den. The gray tabby growled to himself in annoyance, but padded out of the den and into the camp nonetheless.

Fish was not surprised to see it was Fetch, Vex's second in command.

Fetch was a large, muscular black tom. His fur was matted with dried blood, and his ears were torn so much, it was a miracle he could hear. He had white dots speckling his fur. They would have looked like stars if his fur wasn't so dirty. His eyes were blue up close, or when the sun hit them just right, but most often his eyes appeared to be a dark purple color. His eyes had a nasty gleam in them, as if he was always thinking something bad about someone. Fetch's eyes were what made Fish not trust the tom. He had always had a bad feeling about Fetch.

"What is it, Fetch?" Fish meowed, trying his hardest to be polite. It was much harder than Fish had hoped, and Fetch gave him a look.

"Vex said he wants to see you. Also, it's your turn to eat," the black tom hissed. Before heading out to probably go yell at someone else, Fetch spat at Fish's paws. Fish almost flinched, but he was careful. As soon as Fetch was out of sight, Fish hurried off to see Vex.

When he reached Vex's den, which was a large cave in the middle of the camp, Fish meowed to come in. Vex responded with a "Come in", and the gray tabby entered.

As Fish entered, he saw the orange tabby that had become so familiar to him. The orange tabby tom was tall and muscular, larger than Fetch. The orange tabby tom's ice blue eyes glittered with malice, as they often did.

"You wanted to see me?" Fish asked brusquely. Vex padded closer to the gray tabby. Fish stood as still as he could possibly be.

"I wanted to see you because you have been especially good since I have found you, Fish. You always bring back a lot of prey, and you hardly ever have any scratches. You must be a good fighter," Vex smirked before continuing. "I think you should be promoted. You will be passing..." Fish held his breath as he waited for Vex to continue.

"You will be passing Moth, Wolf, Fox, and Peck. Send them to me, if you would. And make it quick," the orange tabby flicked his tail to dismiss the gray tabby. Fish dipped his head and exited his leader's den.

Fish was ecstatic. He relished in the fact that he was passing four cats. That did not happen often. Fish must have been special. He would now only be behind Yarrow, who was Vex's mate, and Fetch.

Fish looked around to see if he could find any of the cats Vex had mentioned. Wolf and Fox, who were fairly close to each other, were speaking quietly.

Wolf was a skinny, tall black tom. He had lighter gray splotches all over his pelt. His eyes were a friendly amber color.

Fox was taller than Wolf, but he was also burlier. He was an orange tom with some darker tabby stripes. One of his eyes had a long scar going through it. Now, Fox only had one eye. It was a sky-blue color.

"Wolf! Fox!" Fish yowled. Their heads turned simultaneously. "Vex wants to see you. Find Peck and Moth and tell them to come with you." Fox and Wolf gave each other a glance. Fish saw the worry in their eyes. The gray tabby smirked and padded away.

Suddenly, an orange tom with darker stripes on his back burst into the camp.

That's Flame. What is he doing back, with so little prey and covered in scratches? Fish waited for Fetch or maybe Vex to address the tom, but neither of them were anywhere that Fish could see. The gray tabby padded up to the orange tom.

"What happened to you, Flame? Why do you have so little prey?" Fish hissed to the tom.

Flame dropped his prey in front of him. Before replying, he took a deep breath. "I found a loner and I took his prey. A fox found me afterwards and took some of the prey I had. I think I drove it off, though," Flame stopped. "That's what happened to me, Fish."

The gray tabby tom narrowed his copper eyes. Something about Flame made Fish think that the orange cat was not telling the whole truth.

"Go see Vex about it. He should know about the fox," Fish said. Flame nodded and grabbed his prey to bring to the fresh-kill pile.

Fish huffed and went to go eat, finally. Before he could choose anything, though, a black tom appeared in front of him.

"You might have been promoted, Fish, but I'll always be one step ahead of you," Fetch hissed.

"What do you mean?" Fish asked, lashing his tail.

"It was not your place to speak to Flame about where he had been. That is my job. You can't steal my job, Fish. Vex will be hearing of this," Fetch snarled and whirled around to go see Vex. Fish hissed and unsheathed his claws.

Fox-dung! Fetch might get me killed. I need to watch out for him. That mouse-brained cat needs to be stopped.

Fish decided he couldn't do anything about it right now, so he picked a fat mouse to eat. Soon after he had finished it, Fetch came rushing back again.

"Vex wants to see you," Fetch said with a smirk. Fish unsheathed his claws, but immediately sheathed them again. He didn't want to be in any more trouble than he was already in.

Fish stood outside of Vex's den. Before he could say anything, Vex welcomed him inside. Fish shook himself before entering.

"Fetch has told me something quite troubling. It seems you are trying to usurp his position. Is this true, Fish?" Vex asked. Fish wasn't sure how to respond. He knew it was unlikely that Vex would believe the gray tabby over his second in command. What would cause him the least punishment?

Maybe I should admit to it. Maybe if I am honest, it will make me more trustworthy?

"Yes, it is true. It won't happen again," Fish promised. Vex flicked his tail. The gray tabby noticed Vex looked slightly shocked.

"You know I will have to lower your rank. Peck will be passing you," Vex hissed. Fish was shocked. Only one cat will be passing me? I guess I did say the right thing. "See that it doesn't happen again."

Fish nodded and padded out of the den. He was shocked. He saw Fetch glaring at him, smirking. He clearly did not know how many cats had passed Fish.

Fetch needs to learn his place. He needs to know Vex has more power than him. And I'm going to be the one to teach him that.