Chapter Twelve

An orange tabby tom leaped for a small oak brown she-cat, who's fur was fluffed up to make her look twice her size. Her yellow eyes glowed brightly with determination. She quickly dodged the outstretched paws of the orange tabby. The tom landed clumsily, and even though he could have easily recovered, he was not quick enough.

A young black tom with bright white streaks pinned the orange tabby to the dirt ground. The orange tabby tom struggled and stared at the black tom. The orange tabby rolled his blue eyes, seeing the smirk on the black tom's face.

"Yeah, yeah, I get it Flash. Now get off me," Flame hissed teasingly to the black trainee. His amber eyes flashed with pride, and he darted off of Flame.

"I keep beating you! I really have improved a lot!" Flash boasted, puffing his chest out. The she-cat flicked her tail at the tom and he gave her an injured look. She rolled her yellow eyes, but turned back to Flame.

"You really haven't been paying attention, Flame. Flash and I have beaten you six times in a row. That never happens," Bark meowed, worriedly. Flame was alarmed, but tried to shrug it off.

"Oh, it's nothing, Bark. I'm really fine. Not worrying about anything," the orange tabby tom spluttered, looking away from her. The she-cat stared at him in mocking disbelief.

"Oh, really?" the brown she-cat meowed. Flame tried to smile at her, but she was still suspicious.

"Fine. There is something I want to tell you two," Flame meowed, remembering his promise to Fish.

"What is it?" Flash asked, curious. Bark nodded beside him.

"Well, I know the two of you don't like Vex," the orange tabby remarked. Both trainees stared at him, stunned.

"W-we haven't done anything wrong!" Flash stuttered.

"Would you like to?" The orange tabby grinned. Flash looked at him, confusion and excitement filling his amber gaze.

"What are you saying?" Bark took a step forward, her fur bristling.

"How would you two like to be part of a rebellion against Vex?" Flame mewed excitedly. He hated how he sounded like a kit, but the orange tabby ignored that for the moment.

The two young cats stared at him in surprise and suspicion. Flash took a step in front of Bark, as if protecting her.

"And you're serious? About betraying Vex?" The black tom meowed skeptically. Flame nodded assuredly.

"How exciting is that, Flash! Haven't we always been wanting this?" Bark brushed her tail over Flash's shoulders. He turned away, frowning. "What's wrong?"

"I know we've talked about it, but talking is a lot different than doing," the black tom meowed gruffly.

"Don't worry, Flash. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just don't tell anyone you can't trust about it. The meeting is at the cypress tree by Twolegplace. If you want to go, it's on the night of the half-moon," Flame said to the young cats.

"We'll try to convince some cats to go. Thank you for telling us, Flame," the brown she-cat meowed, dipping her head politely.

"Can we go back to camp? I'm starving, and it must be almost time to eat, right?" Flash spoke, regaining his confident stature. Without waiting for a response, he flicked his tail and began padding back in the direction the camp was. Bark laughed and ran after him, and the two walked side by side.

Flame sighed. Seeing the two of them only made him miss Fresh more. He wasn't sure what it was about the she-cat, but he longed to see her tabby pelt again. I just have to wait until the half-moon. Until then, I'll do as much as I can to help her.

The orange tabby tom followed the trainees slowly, already knowing who he would ask next.

When he had arrived at the camp, a small brown tabby was waiting for him. Pop may have been small, but his shredded ears and unsheathed claws made him look quite threatening.

"Congrats. You get to eat," the brown tom spat, and Flame tried his hardest not to flinch. The orange tabby only nodded and padded inside.

Only Tiger was at the fresh-kill pile. The dark brown tabby tom was glaring dangerously at Flame. He must be pretty hungry.

Flame picked his choice of prey and nodded to the dark tabby, who grabbed a shrew and left in a hurry. Flame rolled his sky-blue eyes and padded outside of camp, to the nursery.

The queens may not be allowed to get their own food until after the trainees, but it was not against the rules for Flame to give them his food. The orange tabby wasn't hungry anyway.

He found the bramble den and carefully padded inside. Inside were five kits, tussling in the sandy ground, and two she-cats quietly talking to themselves.

The dark brown she-cat turned to him, her hazel eyes wide for just a moment before she relaxed. The light brown she-cat smiled at Flame, her copper eyes glowing.

Flame stepped over the kits and dropped the sparrow he had collected in front of the queens. "Where's Runner?"

"Oh, you know her. She's very loyal to Vex, and she felt bad about not hunting, so she went out to do that," Wing rolled her hazel eyes, her dark brown tail twitching.

"Thank you for bringing this to us, Flame," the light brown she-cat purred.

"No problem, Hazel. How are the kits?" The orange tabby responded, turning his gaze to the five kits.

Runner's two kits were wrestling each other in a blur of blueish and brown fur. Hazel's kit, Lightning, rolled her eyes at Blue and Blaze. Wing's kits, two gray tabbies named Turtle and Stripe, were each trying to sneak up on Lightning, but kept bumping into each other. Flame chuckled softly at them.

"They're all getting along, except Blue and Blaze. They are still a little mean to the other kits, but not as much anymore," Wing meowed, a smile on her face. Flame nodded, then looked around, making sure no one was nearby.

"I know you two don't like Vex very much," Hazel was about to say something but the orange tabby cut her off. "Don't deny it. Some cats have started a rebellion, and a meeting is taking place by Twolegplace, on the half-moon. I think you should both come."

The she-cats were stunned. Hazel opened her mouth, but then closed it again. Wing stared at him, uncertainty in her hazel gaze.

"What about our kits? And are you sure you can trust the cat who set this up?" She meowed skeptically.

"You can trust her, I promise. And you could ask Runner to watch your kits. Just tell her you both are going to hunt for Vex and won't be back until the next morning. She'll watch them for you then for sure," the orange tabby reasoned. Hazel had a thoughtful look in her copper eyes, but Wing still didn't look sure.

"You don't have to go, but promise me you won't tell anyone who you don't trust. We want Vex gone, and we need help."

Wing stared at him for a moment, then nodded. "Alright, Flame. We will keep your secret."

The orange tabby tom beamed. "Thank you."

The kits ignored Flame as he exited the nursery. No cats were in sight, and Flame couldn't think of anyone else to ask, so he walked to the forest, hoping to find someplace to think.

After he had gotten a good distance away from Vex's camp, the orange tabby sat down and lowered his head.

I hope I've done well. Will Fresh be proud, even if she doesn't know I've done anything? Probably not. I doubt she thinks of me. The orange tabby sighed and laid down, curling into a ball for a nap. At least I haven't let Fish down. I've done what he asked of me. And sometimes, that's all I can do.

The orange tom closed his sky-blue eyes and let himself drift off into sleep.