Chapter Nine

A sandy-brown tom slowly waved his tail back and forth, high in the air. A gray tabby she-cat, who was standing near the sandy-brown tom, nodded, purring.

"Great job! And that's to say 'hi, nice to meet you', in case you need it," the gray tabby purred. Field smiled and lowered his tail.

Field and Far had decided to make a new sort of... language. A way for Field to communicate without using his voice. They had been practicing for the whole day, and they hadn't made much progress. They had only worked on things such as how to say 'I, you, he, we' and the like. It was taking a lot longer than Field had anticipated.

"Alright, now... let's make this 'please'," Far meowed, flicking her right ear once. Field copied her and Far nodded, smiling.

"Yeah! And this could be 'thank you'," Far flicked her left ear once. "And this could be 'you're welcome'!" Far then flicked her left ear twice.

Field flicked his left ear once, looking earnestly at Far. Far smiled brightly, her blue eyes shining. The gray tabby looked away, her smile still bright on her face. Field walked closer to the gray tabby and nuzzled her cheek.

"It's nothing, really," Far mewed, nuzzling him back. Despite not having known the she-cat for very long, Field felt very close with her. If only he could tell the gray tabby his name.

Suddenly, out of the corner of Field's eye, the tom saw a lovely tan tabby she-cat with dainty, white paws pad into the den.

"Hi, Far. Hello," Fresh nodded to the two of them. "I hope you don't mind me dropping by?"

"Oh, not at all! I meant it when I said you were welcome any time! What brings you here?" The gray tabby she-cat padded over to her and nuzzled her cheek, Field close behind. Fresh purred in response.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure you two will like it," the tan tabby hesitated.

"No matter what it is, we'll at least listen," Far meowed assuredly. Fresh smiled at her in thanks.

"Well, I bumped in to one of the rogue cats. Not Flame. His name was Fish?" Fresh mewed, looking at the two of them. Field showed his teeth. He knew that name.

Fish was known for being cruel to all the loners and kittpets in the area. He was even horrible to cats in the rogue group. Field was not excited to hear what came next.

"Anyway, we talked, and we had a sort of... vision? His dead parents came to him, and—" Fresh was interrupted before she could continue.

"What? His dead parents? How does that work?" Far said in disbelief. Honestly, Field couldn't blame her. He, too, found it hard to believe.

"I'm not exactly sure how it works, but you just have to trust me that it happened," Fresh looked pleadingly at the two of them.

Far turned to Field, hoping for some kind of answer. Field blinked twice, which they had decided meant 'ok', or 'yes', depending on the situation. Far sighed and turned back to Fresh.

"Fine. We trust you, Fresh," Far meowed. Fresh smiled in gratitude.

"Thank you, really. It means a lot. So, Fish's dead parents came to him, and they told him that Vex killed them, which he didn't know," Fresh meowed.

"Of course Vex did. He is awful," Far snarled. Field nodded in agreement.

"Yeah..." Fresh's green eyes glazed over, as if remembering something. She quickly snapped out of it. "Anyway, his parents also told him to start a rebellion against the rogues. So, here I am, recruiting you guys."

Field stared at the tan tabby in shock. A rebellion? Against Vex? That's practically suicide! Despite the obvious danger of the plan, the sandy-brown tom was intrigued.