Chapter 2: My Boyfriend?

Nick opened up in the car to Tara about his past because she needed a distraction from what just happened with the letter and dead roses. Tara listened, then said, "It wasn't your fault they were killed. A way to heal is to forgive yourself and let someone in." Nick replied, "You may be the person to finally make me bring down my walls. I am surprised that I haven't been acting cold and distant towards you. I am intrigued by you, Miss Jones."

Tara blushed profusely when his hand touched her's. They arrived at the theater. Tara rushed in with Nick right behind her. The students all chatted saying, "Who is that guy with Tara? Could he be her boyfriend?" It gave Nick the idea to go behind Tara and put his arm around her waist. He said, "Hi I am Nick, Tara's boyfriend." Tara tried to go with it when he gave her a wink. She said, "You guys guessed it right!" Mr. Waites, their teacher, said, "We are going to start class now by holding auditions for A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is one of my favorite plays by Shakespeare. Okay, since you were last to class Tara, which character are you reading for?" Tara replied, "Hermia, Mr. Waites." Nick whispered, "You get 'em, girlfriend." Tara nodded then got on stage. Mr. Waites said, "Who will read for Lysander?"

Nick spoke up before Christopher Renault. Christopher had a secret crush on Tara. Nick asked, "Can I read for Lysander since you are holding auditions?" Mr. Waites said, "Come on up. Let's see what you've got." The scene between Hermia and Lysander included a kiss. Nick wowed everyone on how he got into character. His eyes showed love, which most actors can't fake. No one was surprised that Tara was spot on and when they kissed, it made them both light up. Mr. Waites spoke, "You both get these parts, easily." Christopher was casted as Demetrius. The Helena role was given to Amy Morris.

Nick whispered after their audition, "I never want to forget about kissing you again. I know we aren't really dating but would you consider it?" She was surprised, but replied, "I wouldn't mind that at all if you call me, Tara." Nick couldn't believe how those words came out of his mouth. He knew that he was in trouble but he was in too deep to back out of his feelings for her that had been coming non-stop. Nick never thought that the one he needed to protect would make him put himself out there. His heart was hers for the taking after sharing two kisses that were not planned.

Christopher came over to congratulate them on getting the main roles in the play. His voice was laced with fake niceties and he secretly glared at Nick. Tara said, "Thanks Chris, you are a great guy." Chris shook Nick's hand hard but kept the non-sincere smile on his face.

When class finally finished, Nick waited to speak to Tara so no one would hear. He said, after they entered his black 4 door truck, "That Chris guy seems off and your teacher seems to have you as his star pupil. They are good suspects." Tara replied, "Yeah, Chris was acting strange. Very possessive.  I wouldn't have considered Mr.Waites as a suspect. I believe it could be Charles Ryan, my ex boyfriend, because he stills stalks me sometimes even if that letter said it wasn't him. It could be a way to assume the wrong thing." Nick spoke, "I am glad you are open minded to thinking it could be someone you know because this serial killer seems to know a lot about you. Your parents showed me the notes and letters that psycho wrote you. Trust me when I say that The Red Dagger won't know what hit him." Tara said, "I haven't ever trusted someone this quickly, but I do trust you with my life, Nick. You made sure I was safe when that looney person threw a package at me."

Nick drove her home and was happy to hear her say that about him. Nick asked, "I hope you don't mind me moving in with you since I have to protect you." Tara said a flirty reply, "We are dating now, right?" He said, "If you really want someone that is a broken man." Tara touched his face and said, "You are a strong person, Nick. You coped with losing your parents by becoming a cop. Then, you saw people that you cared about shot right in front of you, yet you still protect people and put yourself in harms way being a personal bodyguard.  You are a kind and decent person that I can't wait to learn more about!"

Nick and Tara kissed passionately outside on her porch. The Red Dagger was watching as he clenched his fist from across the street. He said huskily, "You had to date him. Well, it looks like you will lose Nick and your parents. I will murder them first, then I will have my fun with you by torture until I slowly and painfully kill you, Tara."