Chapter 10: A Side Profession

Nick decided that along with being a successful private investigator, he would open up a 'Protective Bodyguard' training facility. He would train guys to become top notch bodyguards. It became a training school right next to the P.I. office. This idea started when Tara checked the mail a few days ago and received a letter from The Red Dagger post mortem. It read, "I may be dead but my trainee isn't so the killings will continue even when I am gone. Have a nice life while trying to track down my protege."

Nick was determined to protect his wife at all cost so this made him come up with the Protective Bodyguard company idea. He would first train the candidates then send them to protect people from stalkers, psychos, and others like The Red Dagger. Tara had been researching people that Tommy Davenport, aka 'The Red Dagger', had been in contact with and they couldn't believe who the person was:  Brian Chambers, the kid who was supposedly killed in front of Nick. Tommy kidnapped and brainwashed the child. Brian would be 17 years old now and she had to break the news to Nick. Tara showed him the evidence that she had collected. Tommy was photographed with Brian, now named Blake Thompkins, outside San Marcos High School.

Nick paced back and forth saying, "How is this possible? I saw him die right in front of me. He can't be his protege, not that psychopath." He knew in his heart that the picture proved that The Red Dagger made a mistake being photographed with his trainee. Nick put on his jacket and said, "I am going to talk to Brian. If I am not back soon, call the police." Tara grabbed his arm and replied, "We are a team, Nick.  I am coming with you." Nick shock his head and said, "You are pregnant and are certainly not going with me." She touched his face and retorted, "I will be okay since you will be right by my side. Don't leave me behind." Nick reluctantly let her go with him.

He called the police on his cell phone and said, "We have evidence to believe that Brian Chambers, aka Blake Thompkins, has taken over for The Red Dagger after his demise. Send cops to San Marcos High School and be discrete because who knows what he is capable of." Nick drove quickly to San Marcos High School as Tara lightly touched his hand and said, "Slow down, honey. Everything will be okay. Brian won't see us coming." She was wrong.  Brian had rigged the school with explosives and the students and teachers tied up already. When they arrived, the police were in a hostage situation which made Nick remembered the day when Brian was supposedly shot dead. Nick told the officers, "Hey, let me talk to him." They gave him the mega phone and Nick said, "Brian, this is Nick Townsend. I know what you were trained to do but this isn't you. Do you remember the time..."  He was interrupted by a ticking sound. They hoped a bomb wasn't going to blow up.

Brian spoke, "It is too late, Nick! I will kill 20 of my classmates and the count could rise.  The Red Dagger lives on and you won't stop me since I have hostages and have rigged the school to blow up if you stop me." Tara hugged Nick from behind and whispered, "Let me talk to him." He handed the mega phone to her and she said, "This is Tara Townsend, I can make you a deal. The Red Dagger wanted me so I will trade myself for all of the rest of the students and teachers. How does that sound?" Brian laughed crazily and said, "He told me you would say that.  I won't accept trades because I will kill you, too." Nick yelled, "You have a problem with me don't you, Brian? The Red Dagger probably said I abandoned you, right?." He decided to keep him talking while the bomb squad were disabling the bombs.

Nick received the signal to go inside the school with the police since they respected him.  Brian snuck out through the air vents and now had Tara in his grasps. Tara elbowed him and made him drop the knife. Nick figured out what was going on and ran outside. He saw them struggling for the dagger.  Nick aimed his gun and said, "Stop, Brian!" Brian stared at him and Nick knew the kid that used to be full of happiness and love was gone. All that was left was a brainwashed teen that would never be the same. Nick shot him twice in the chest when Brian ran at him after getting the knife back. Tara embraced Nick as tears fell down her face. Nick said, "I love you, Tara.  I guess you were right about coming with me. He probably would have driven out to our home and killed you while I was still here." Tara smiled and replied, "I love you too! I always need my bodyguard P.I. husband protecting me." They shared a sweet kiss before they talked to the police.

No one was killed that day thanks to the heroics of Nick and Tara.  They would be busy with their P.I. business along with Tara selling her plays.  Nick would now train bodyguards as well.  After 9 months, they brought a son into the world. His name was Ashton Nicholas Townsend. He would take after his dad with his interest in solving cases. His brown eyes would always be engrossed reading his mother's plays.  Ashton was also interested in acting. Ashton had blonde hair which he inherited from his late maternal grandfather. Nick and Tara enjoyed many years without drama, however, the cases kept them busy. Ashton grew up fast. He enjoyed watching his father train bodyguards when he was old enough to watch them. Ashton was now 18 years old and his story was about to begin.