Chapter 5: No One Will Be Safe

The next morning, Nick woke to find Tara smiling back at him.  She said, "Hey handsome, how's my bodyguard  boyfriend this morning after a terrible scare last night?  Please don't take another knife for me and almost get killed.  I would have died if I had lost you."  Nick smiled and replied, "No can do because I love you and I would protect you with my life even if it wasn't my job to do so." 

He gave her a kiss then his phone started to ring.  It was Aaron Danielson, his friend on the police force.  Nick answered to hear him say, "The Red Dagger struck at the hospital you were treated at, Nick.  A nurse by the name of Barbie Lockland was killed.  It looks like she wasn't his intended victim because this was a rush job.  I think he was after your girlfriend." Nick started to think when he responded back, "How did you know I was Tara's boyfriend?  Aaron replied, "Seriously?  I have been taking care of some people she knows and they may have told me until I was reassigned to head up catching The Red Dagger." 

Nick breathed a sigh of relief knowing that Aaron was guarding Tara's parents at the safe house.  He wasn't The Red Dagger.  Nick said, "I will talk to you later and thank you for the update."  When he hung up his phone, he saw Tara ordering room service for lunch since they slept in until 2pm. Her professor, Mr. Waites, emailed her final grade of an A and asked how Nick was doing.  Christopher called but she didn't answer and so did her ex boyfriend, Charles.  Nick told Tara about the phone call which had her rattled. 

Nick came up behind her and wrapped his hands around her waist.  He started to make her less tense by kissing her neck and giving her love bites.  She turned around and lightly pushed him on the bed.  Tara was on top of him and kissed his lips.  She bit his lip playfully.  Nick slowly unbuttoned his shirt from last night as they blissfully kissed and got steamy until the room service arrived.  Tara skipped to the door and tipped the guy.  She brought the food in only to notice another note from The Red Dagger.  It read, "That nurse should have been you and I, sadly, couldn't kill your boyfriend last night, either.  I know your parents are still alive. Does the police think I am stupid?  I will have you all to myself soon and the killings will continue, even after you.  They will never catch me.  I have been killing women since I was a teenager.  Don't think you are so special, Tara Jones.  The other 26 women thought they were so beautiful but I showed them how they truly looked after I was done with them, signed, The Red Dagger." 

Tara showed Nick the note. Then, she tore it up and threw it in the garbage.  Nick said, "He was angry that his plots against you have all failed. The Red Dagger will slip up soon and I will make sure that he will be caught."  Tara replied, "I can't wait until this is all over.  I miss my parents and a life without living in fear everyday.  The only good thing that has come out of this was meeting you."  Nick stood up to go give her a hug then replied, "I am glad we met because you gave me something I was missing ...you."  They finished eating lunch then went to the murder mystery play rehearsal. 

Christopher greeted them by saying, "You are a sight for sore eyes, Tara.  Are you okay after what happened last night?  I would understand if Nick pulled out."  Nick responded by saying, "Thanks for being concerned, but I will be taking the stage with my lovely girlfriend."  Christopher under his breath said, "You stole what was going to be mine."  Charlie came up to them after Christopher scurried off like a rat.  He said, "If we were together, then none of this would have occurred.  This guy is bad news and brings bad luck.  You are disgusting garbage, Nick and you are also starting to stink, Tara."  Nick replied, "You shouldn't stalk your ex girlfriend. That means you are the one that brings bad news."  Charles screamed, "Why, I ought to deck you and then watch you bleed, punk!"  Tara said, "Stop it, Charles. Leave me and Nick alone. What you need is help."  When Charles swung at him, Nick caught his hand and twisted his arm.  He still went after Nick even with his arm throbbing in pain until Nick kicked him in the groin.  Charles fell to the ground in pain when the Director came in the room and fired him for starting a fight for no reason.  The Director had to keep Charles on staff backstage because his family donated large sums of money to both the theater and this production. 

Tara checked Nick to see if he was okay. He gave her a smirk and said, "Charles didn't hurt me, honey, but he won't be using his left arm for awhile."  Nick shined as the detective on the stage and Tara did one of her best performances in practice.  The kiss they shared in their final scene brought the Director to tears.  Charles rolled his eyes backstage while Mr. Waites made a surprise appearance clapping loud in the back.  Christopher coughed insults like 'show off' and 'wanna be actor' about Nick.  The play was going to be opening in a few weeks.  Nick and Tara waved goodbye to the actors and started to leave when Mr. Waites ran up to Tara and gave her a bouquet of yellow roses.  Tara told him, "Thank you, but how did you know about me being in this play?"  Mr Waites replied, "I am friends with the Director plus Christopher bragged about being in this play with you.  Have a good night, you two!" 

His grey hair shined as the sun set and his blue eyes glimmered with pride about his former student, Tara."  Tara whispered to Nick, "Can you throw these away?  I have had my fill of roses for a long time, sadly."  Nick pitched them into the trash before they returned to the hotel.  The Red Dagger smoked across the street from the hotel and laughed as the happy couple entered the hotel.  He said, "Soon, everything you have known will burn, Tara.  Just wait, I will make you wish you were never born."