Chapter 4: Fearing What's To Come

Nick had been extra protective lately since all was quiet with The Red Dagger for about a week and half until now.  He broke into her house last night and wrote in blood on the bathroom mirror, "You were once lovely and innocent.  Now you are a lady of the night.  I will break you and Nick won't be able to protect you.  He will be dead and buried soon and no one will be able to save you my dear, Tara." 

The A Midsummer Night's Dream play was going to open tonight but she was in no shape to go on stage since she saw the blood on the mirror.  Tara had been holding her knees and shaking with fright.  Nick held her close and said, "It is not safe here anymore since he got in while we were asleep. I may have to bring in my friend at the police department to help protect you."  She shot up from where she sat and said, "Please, you are the only one I trust.  Your friend could be The Red Dagger for all we know." 

Her eyes were filled with fear and needed the warmth and safety of Nick's embrace.  He replied, "Alright darling, I just suggested that because I don't want that psycho to hurt you or worse..."   She said, "I know, that is why I love you."  They both decided to go to a hotel to stay for a few days.  Tara was not looking forward to being on stage after feeling the heat from The Red Dagger.  Nick passionately kissed her as soon as they settled into their hotel room.  Tara said, "That definitely gets my mind off what's going on. Come here, you."  The fire between them was unmatched as they kept kissing each other.  Nick told her, "I love you with all my heart and I won't let him hurt you."  Tara replied, "I love you, too. You are my everything.  Don't worry, because I know he won't get a chance since you are on the case, Nick." 

Tara touched his face when he was on top of her kissing her lips and neck.  He lightly bit her neck and whispered, "You're mine, sweetheart."  She replied, "Always, and you are mine."  She took off his shirt and stared at him saying words without speaking that he is the guy that sets her heart on fire.  After they had their loving moments, they had to get ready for their performance.  Nick helped her get ready by helping her zip up her dress.  She looked the part and so did he since the play was about two lovers running away to be happy together without conflict. 

Tara said, "You look quite dashing, Mr. Townsend or should I say Lysander?" He laughed and said, "Thank you, but you are the most beautiful angel I have ever seen."  He gave her his arm and they were off to the theater for her to be done with her theater class after this one and only performance.  The play went off perfectly until something unforeseen happens.  It was at the closing scene when several knives on cue came out of nowhere from above them targeting Tara.  Nick heard the noise of the daggers coming down and shielded her from being cut or stabbed.  Mr. Waites was nowhere to be found and Christopher, who played Demetrius, had missed his cue.  Her ex boyfriend, Charlie, was in the audience smiling weirdly after that event occurred. 

Nick was stabbed in the stomach.  He held his wound and tried not to draw much attention because he wanted to see the reaction from the suspects.  Tara saw him bleeding and said as calmly as she could, "Somebody call 911, my boyfriend has been injured by one of those knives."  She helped put pressure on his wound and said, "Nick, please be okay.  I can't be without you even if this wasn't happening to us."  He gave her a quick kiss and replied, "I've been shot and stabbed before, this will be a distant memory very soon."  The ambulance arrived and Tara rode with him. 

When the ambulance arrived at the hospital, they rolled him into surgery.  She sat down in the waiting room drenched with his blood and cried.  Tara felt lost and hopeless until the doctor came back an hour later with good news.  He said that Nick would be okay and that his wound wasn't deep.  They stitched him up and he was as good as new.  She ran to his room as soon as the doctor allowed him to have visitors.  Tara saw him laying there looking like nothing had just happened.  He sat up and saw that she was there and smiled widely. 

He said, "What is a beautiful girl like you doing in a place like this?"  She embraced him and gave him sweet kisses. Tara said, "Thank goodness you are alright.  Can I see your wound?"  Nick chuckled and said, "You just want me shirtless, Miss Jones."  She blushed a bright crimson and replied, "Yes but it's more important to see your wound, Mr. Townsend."  He showed her that it was only a small cut now and the small sutures were barely noticeable.  The doctor was discharging him and wanted to prescribe pain killers but Nick said that he was fine without them. 

The Red Dagger was disguised as a doctor and had a scalpel in his right hand.  He clinched it tightly as he followed Tara and Nick outside.  The serial killer was distracted when a nurse asked him, "Do you have a light?  It's heck working in a hospital."  The Red Dagger smirked and said disguising his voice, "You have no idea, Miss."  He took her to the blind spot in the dark parking lot and had his way with her first before stabbing her 5 times in the chest. Later, he tied her up with rope that he had in his pocket.  He said, "That is what you get for wrecking my plans for Tara.  Oh well there is always tomorrow."