perfectly practical prank

Sirius' PoV
"Okay," said Lily, looking at me and James who she had just caught red handed "let me get this straight." She turned from James to look at me. Her palms were pressed together as she held them near her chest as though in prayer (maybe she was, based on how this looked right now...)
"You," she said, pointing her hands at me, "did something dumb," she paused to take a breath. "So now, you," she said pointing at both of us, "are going to do something dumb to "fix" it?"
James and I looked at eachother then turned back to Lily nodding.
"Yeah, that's the plan pretty much." James and I said together.
We waited nervously, as she apraised us, her hands now on her hips.
I hoped she would understand the circumstances, we had explained the why to her, and she knew the what.
"Okay, I'm in," she said simply.
James and I let out a relieved sigh.
"Thank Merlin," said James, "I was worried."
She shrugged, a light smirk played across her lips. "Mars is my friend."
James grinned as we filled her in on the how of our plan.

Less than twenty minutes later, everything was set into motion. James and I crouched around the corner, our wands ready as we heard Mars and Lily.
Lily had lured her out to the entrance hall under some allusion, as the entrence hall seemed the best place, the most spacious area in the castle.
One, two, three. I mouthed to James. We both muttered Wingardium Leviosa, sending both of our pigs floating out above the girls, softly sqealing.
"What the hell?" Muttered Mars as she looked up at the two pink pigs. Lily tried to put on a face of surprise, but it was a poor mask to her grin.
I stepped around the corner, trying to look as nonchalant as possible.
"Huh," I said looking at the pigs while trying to steal glances at Mars' reaction. "Look at that, those pigs are flying," I said as I strolled over to the two girls.
"I guess now you can talk to me." My statement was directed at Mars and she knew it.
"Sirius, when I said I would talk to you when pigs fly, I didn't mean for you to levitate some poor pigs into the air," she sighed.
"Yes, but I really need to talk to you." I countered.
"Okay, fine, but make it quick," she said with a sigh of defeat. "Lily has something to show me."
I took a deep breath "I'mreallysorryforwhatveverIdid and I would like to apologize, eventhoughI'mnot entirely certain what I did wrong. And, I'd like to make it up to you somehow." I said, trying to cram it all into one breath an failing.
She looked at me and her expression softened just slightly from indifference to a suppressed smile.
"So, to make it up to you," I said dramatically, "I am going to take you, to Hogsmeade." Pause for effect. "On a date." I said, trying to keep the smugness out of my voice. "This weekend. yes that's Valentine's day."
"Um, hate to break it to you, but you're a tad late on that." She said, with a light laugh.
"Huh?" I asked dumbly
"Scott already asked me."
"So.. you're going with Scoot?"
"Yes, Scott asked me like two days ago."
"Huh..." my mind struggled to comprehend the failure of my plan.
"So, Lily," she turned to face the other red head. "What was it you were going to show me?" She asked.
"Look," said Lily pointing. "Flying pigs...?" She offered weakly.
"Right, then, if that's all, I'm going to bed." She walked away.

At that moment, one of the pigs that had been floating, dropped, squealing loudly, right onto me as James rushed out from behind the corner, slowly lowering the other. James and Lily grinned at eachother.
I still couldn't move.

"Bloody hell," whispers James. "I don't think I've ever seen that before."
All I can do is stare blankly at him.
"she was just so nice about it..."
Remus shakes his hand in front of my face. "I think he's experiencing shock," he says, a smirk on his face.
"Is he going to be okay?"asks Peter, worry etched in his face.
"'course I am," I say, shaking myself. "it was only a rejection. "
"yeah, but you like her."
bloody hell, I think he's right.
"bloody hell." my voice is hoarse. "I like her."
Then the room exploded.

Damn Scoot. His hair is awful anyway.