Things Come to an End

Mars' PoV
"Take my hand," he whispered.
"Why are you whispering?" I asked, but complying anyway.
"... I don't really know," he answered after a pause, a smirk playing across his lips.
I shook my head as he squeezed my hand, then pulled me close to him. "Hold on."
I wrapped my arms around his waist as felt the familiar sensation of apparating.
I opened my eyes, my stomach still swirling, feeling dizzy.
Sirius loosened his grip around my waist but didn't let go of my hand.
We stood in a small clearing of trees. The sun was slowly setting, turning the sky a soft pink-orange at the horizon.
"This is where you're going to murder me?" I asked cheekily.
"No," he laughed.
"Seems like the perfect place; the deserted forest. No one would hear me scream."
"Well if I were to murder someone, I would definatly do it here then," he said, laughing again. "'Course, I would make sure I wasn't caught, because Azkaban is hell--not that I would murder anyone in the first place," He said quickly.
"Of course not," I laughed. "So what are we doing here in the first place?
"Watching one of my favourite things in the world." He answered, leading me by the hand to a trail.
I followed him to the top of a hill, where he sat, patting the ground next to him. I sat next to him and waited patiently for something. "What are we watching? I asked quietly.
"This," he said, gesturing to the sunset.
I smiled and leaned my head against his shoulder. His head tipped to mine as we watched the daylight fade, the sky turning from pink to purple to darkest blue as the stars began to speckle the sky.
"Shooting star," said Sirius, speaking for the first time in a while. "Make a wish." he pointed at it.
I closed my eyes and wished that this moment could last forever, that I could sit here with Sirius, his heart thudding reassuringly against my ear, the kisses on my temple, his arms wrapped around me.
I sighed.
"What did you wish for?" He asked.
"I can't tell you because then it won't come true," I explained.
He just nodded as he looked at his wrist watch.
"It's getting late love, we should go back."
I nodded, stupid useless wishing star.

Sirius'PoV
"So are you ever going to tell me what you wished for?" I persisted, as I climbed into bed, my borrowed shirt lay forgotten on the ground next to her shorts. She turned to face me.
"You really want to know?" She asked.
"Of course," I whispered, brushing hair out of her eyes.
She sighed deeply. "I wished that this," she gestured between the two of us, "could work."
my heart stopped for a moment.
"What do you mean?" I asked tentatively.
"Sirius, I don't want to be your summer fling," she said, her voice thin.
"Mars," I said back, my voice shaking. "It doesn't have to be." I reached out shaking to draw her chin to mine. I could see her eyes glassy with tears.
"I-I wish I could believe you," she choked.
"You can," I insisted my eyes pricking with tears too. "You can trust me."
She shook her head.
"I'm sorry, I just can't."
I could feel my heart begin to fracture.
"I can't," she said again, more to herself, her voice like spun glass.
"I-I-I don't understand," I began, stuttering.
She looked at me with heart break eyes.
"I seriously don't understand," I whispered again.
"She gave a sad smile.
"I'm sorry Sirius, I really did love you though."
My heart finally shattered.
"I have to go," I said shakily.
"I know," she said sadly.
"Kiss me once before I go." I pleaded, her eyes looked disappointed, but she brushed her lips against mine, her eyes closed.

Her words echoed through my mind for the rest of that summer, held in my mind like a prisoner.

"I really did love you..."