Unhappy Valentine's Day

Sirius' PoV
"I've always wanted a dog," said Mars as she and Sock, or whatever, walked passed me on the way down to Hogsmeade. "But my dad's allergic."
I noticed happily that her hands were shoved into the pocket of her coat even though his dangled at his side.
I walked slowly through the crowded village alone.
Remus had insited we go without him, since he was in the hospital wing after last night.
James had gone with Lily ("just as friends!")
And Peter had "to much homework".
I didn't know what I was going to do, but I was getting tired of the Gryffindor common room.
I hit up zonkos and restocked on a few items, then went to Honeydukes and bought several pounds of chocolate for Remus, then stopped by The Three Broomsticks for a pint of butterbeer.
After that, I wandered the streets with my bags in hand.
A small clothing shop caught my attention.
A display in the window held a black knit scarf. It would go perfect with my leather jacket--a gift from Moony and Prongs for my birthday--and I had to have it.
A bell tinkled over head as I stepped in the shop.
I pulled the scarf out and examined it.
It was perfect.
I meanedered around the rows to kill some time, looking at socks, jackets, flannels and robes, as well as everything else.
After about five minutes, Marlene walked through the door, her cheeks pink from the cold, her blonde hair in two braids.
We made eye contact for a brief moment. A flash of pain lit her eyes. As she looked down again, walking over to the witches section.
I made my resolve and walked over to her.
"Marlene," I said as she browsed the dress robes.
"Mhmm?" She said without looking up.
"Marlene, I want to apologize."
She stopped examining a set of black velvet dress robes and turned to face me.
"I'm really sorry marls," I said sincerly.
"About?" She said, shifting her weight to one foot an crossing her arms.
"I'm sorry that I was a pratt and a jerk and a terrible person and friend."
she stared at me for a moment. "That scarf would go great with your leather jacket." She said, turning back to the rack of robes.
"That's what I thought when I saw it!" I gushed, running my fingers over it.
She smirked at me. I took that to mean she accepted my apology.

We spent the rest of the day wandering through the shops and laughing and joking. I was glad to have Marlene back as a friend. She was always so fun to be around.
Something had changed though, she seemed more relaxed than before.
The sky slowly turned dark as we walked back up to the castle a few hours later.
"Thanks for today," I said smiling as we walked into the great hall for dinner.
Marlene and I both noticed the absence of Mars.
I saw Sock sitting at the hufflepuff table, laughing with his hufflepuff friends and my blood began to boil.
If he had hurt Mars in anyway he was in for a good beating.
I hardly tasted my food as I glowered at him.

Mars' PoV
The seventh floor corridor was quiet, and the alcove I was tucked into was the perfect space to go unnoticed.
I waited for the tears to come, but they didn't.
I was devastated beyond tears.
Dead. My eyes caught on that word again. Dead.
He was Dead.
Dead.
No, that couldn't be right. Maybe I had misread the word.
Dead.

Marsel,
I regret to inform you that your father was found dead this morning. His death is still under investigation at the moment, but we have reason to suspect that the followers of He Who Must Not Be Named are behind this.
My sincere condolences to you and your mother. She sends her love, but at this point, cannot write to you.  If you need anything, please, don't hesitate to owl me.
Yours,
Cassandra Hawkins

Cassandra was the head of the department of international magical cooperation, where my dad worked.

The shock finally wore off and reality set in. The tears came silent and hot as I drew my knees up to my chest and rested my forehead on them.
I don't know how long I sat like that, but my crying subsided.
I listened hard, thinking I had heard something.
I strained my ears. There it was again, it sounded like claws over the stone.
A moment later, a large, shaggy, black dog wandered into view, it's nose to the ground, sniffing intently. It froze when it saw me, then moved cautiously towards me.
It sat down in front of me, its large grey eyes questioning, head tilted to the side.
I looked at it, surprised.
I didn't know dogs were allowed here. The dog wimpered and nudged my hand with its head. I absentmindedly started to scratch it behind the ears.
The dog rolled over, begging me to rub its belly.
"What's your name puppy?" I asked quietly as I complied.
The dog snuffled my hand with his nose, sitting up again.
I couldn't help but laugh as snuffles--I decided I would call him that--began to lick away my dried tears.
Snuffles curled up next to me and I petted him. "Thanks snuffles," I said to the dog as I burried my face in his fur.