A Mission in the Making

Word Count: 1,664

"But, Pidge, I just thought that maybe-"

"No Hunk," the green paladin sighed heavily, sounding like she had stuck in this argument far longer than she had expected, "there is absolutely no way that Alteans-"

I looked up as Hunk and Pidge around the corner.

Whatever she was going to say next died on her lips the moment she laid eyes on me.

Or, to be more exact, my wings.

I raised my eyebrows at her shocked expression if she had been holding anything at that moment; it would've dropped to the floor and shattered.

Her eyes resembled bowling balls as they went down my wings and back up to my face and then back again.

"What Pidge?" I asked, trying to be inconspicuous, avoiding eye contact with her.

"Wha-, how, you didn't tell me?!" She managed to squeak out.

I shrugged and ate some more of the green food goo. "So?"

"So," she said, "you don't just-"

"Can, you, you know, fly?" Hunk asked, flapping his hands up and down to mimic wings.

I shrugged again. "I don't really know, I didn't exactly get room to try that at," I took a deep breath, "there," I said, looking back at the metal contraptions. I could see Keith looking at me out of the corner of my eye.

Pidge had apparently lost the ability to speak, only making weird, frantic sounds and gesturing to my wings with her arms. She looked, to me in that moment, like a monkey on caffeine.

Suddenly, Allura's voice blared through the intercom. "Paladins! I need everyone suited up and at the bridge now!"

It was like somebody flipped a switch and in less than a second everyone had cleared out of the room leaving me alone with my bowl of food goo.

I stirred the green substance, it didn't taste too horrible, in fact, it tasted better than that crappy food I had to eat at-

I took a breath and instead focused on the food in front of me.

I plopped the spoon back in the bowl, watching as it slowly sunk to the bottom.

I crossed my arms. I sunk into my seat. I kicked my legs.

Screw this, I finally thought. Standing, I took the bowl and raked the rest of its contents into the trash, placing it by the sink I took off running down the halls making my way to the bridge.

This was the first time since I was here that the paladins were needed for an actual mission and I was starting to think that Voltron was just a bluff, an excuse to just float around in space with nothing even remotely interesting to do.

But, my hopes were now restored as I pushed my legs to go faster as I reached the hall to the bridge.

Slowing down, I opened the door to see all five of the paladins suited up and standing attention in front of the Altean princess.

I slowly and quietly shut the door behind me as Allura began to speak, glad that Coran had finally fixed the door.

"Paladins, we have finally located the final piece of Zarkon's plan for locating a new power source." She turned around and began pushing buttons on the station behind her, a hologram of a blueprint of a Galran ship appeared on the screen.

She pointed to a room located at the front of the ship outlining itself in red at the princess's touch. "The information is stored here, in the control room. Pidge and Shiro will sneak into this part of the ship and retrieve the data while Hunk, Keith, and Lance will create a diversion here," she pointed to another section of the ship, outlining the large portion in red. "The ship is nearby and it should not take too long to get what we need and get out."