Fear at the Heart

Word Count: 1,209

^^ His face though *cries* I can't help it, I love Galra Keith!! ^^

..

Thanks to the machinery used to create wormholes being currently unfunctional, we had to travel through space the "old fashioned way" as Coran put it, which pretty much meant that we were stuck slowly sailing along through space until we reached our destination.

The last few days were interesting, Keith was stuck wearing longed sleeves, switching his usual fingerless gloves, for a regular black pair to cover his hands, which were both now purple.

The spread had slowly crept its way up and down both arms, past his stomach and Lance had informed me that it had now completely engulfed his legs, meaning that his head was the only part left.

Lance and I had made up excuses to Shiro and the others during the changes when the pain had been too great for Keith to stand being around others, locking himself in his room until he was able to get it under control enough to be seen.

We were now in the training room in the afternoon a few days later. Me and Keith going head to head yet again that day. He had said that it helped him get his mind off of what was happening, and I had to admit, he was right, when we trained he would focus only on what was in front of him at the moment, not bothering with the thoughts of whether or not the transformation would complete itself today, or tomorrow, or next week, he was just focused on the now.

I suddenly ducked as his sword sailed over my head, narrowly missing my head.

"You're too predictable," Keith said as I lunged at him again and again, him blocking each of my blows with ease.

"Well, you've been fighting only me day after day, that has to count for something unless you want to fight butter fingers over there." I gestured to where Lance was leaning up against a wall, his arms crossed in front of him.

"Hey!"

A word to the wise, never give Lance anything that even remotely resembles a sword or knife, before we would even begin to fight, he'd almost chop off his own toes by accident more than once in a single bout alone.

"Sorry not sorry, Lance," I said, taking a swipe at Keith with the borrowed dagger which he easily deflected, with a single flick of his sword, sending the dagger clattering to the floor a few feet away from us.

Keith raised his sword to my throat whereas I was now pressed up against a wall with no moves left to use.

"You're dead 'cira." Lance called from across the room.

"Wow, thanks, I haven't noticed," I said, loud enough for only Keith to hear.

Smirking slightly, he lowered his sword.

I yelled over to Lance. "Hey, what's the score?"

He walked over to me, hands in his pockets, a bored look on his face. "Twenty-five to seven." He said.

Only seven? Yikes, okay, I give up; I am officially done for the day.

"I turn over to Keith. "You want to call it quits?"

Keith shrugged, his sword dissolving into thin air. "I guess, but can we train a little more?" He said, reaching up to scratch the back of his neck, I noted the sweat that was dripping down his forehead.

Since it was just me, Lance, and Keith, and nobody really bothered to come to the training room unless everyone was going to train, Keith had his jacket off, exposing his purple arms, he wouldn't take the gloves off though, I guess it is kinda hard to get used to the fact that you have claws for fingertips.

"I'm bored, can we go eat or something?" Lance asked.

I turned my gaze to Lance. "Sure, let's stop and eat something, I'm starving."

We both turned toward the door, walking at a steady pace, there was a thump behind me but I just assumed it was Keith putting down his bayard.

I heard Lance stop behind me, turning back around to face Keith. "You coming Mul- Acira!"

I whirled around just as I heard a scream.

Keith was huddled on the floor, shaking on the floor and clutching his head like it was about to explode.

"Keith!" I ran over to where Lance was standing by his side, my eyes glued on Keith.

"What happened?"

"He just collapsed!"

"Collapsed because of what, Lance? Be more specific!"

"How can I be any more specific than that?"

Keith's sudden shaking stopped just as fast as it started, but he remained huddled together still holding his head, but not as rough as before.

I put a hand on his shoulder but jerked back suddenly when Keith suddenly turned his head in my direction revealing the purple that had crept up his face that surrounded a solid yellow eye staring right back at me.

Fear suddenly clutched my chest in a death grip and in less than a second, I held a dagger in my hands that I never remembered getting, pointing it in the Galra's direction. "Get away from me!" I sneered.

"Whoa! Acira, calm down." Lance tried to pry the knife out of my grip but I shoved him off easily, my knife still trained on the Galra on the floor.

"Stay back," I growled, I prepared to lunge. Eyes, those eyes.

Keith's eyes widened in fear, one yellow, one normal. But those eyes, those yellow eyes that I've seen all my life, I couldn't get those eyes out of my head no matter how hard I tried. They were monsters, but.... I dropped the dagger that suddenly clattered to the floor once I had realized what I was doing, aiming a knife at someone who was not only defenseless but innocent.

Keith continued to stare at me, fear in his eyes like nothing I had ever seen.

"Keith, I-"

"I-I've gotta go," Keith said, revealing sharp fangs, at the same time he scrambled to his feet faster than I had seen anything move, he continued to cover his face with one hand, running out the training room door, not even bothering to grab his jacket and dagger, and I silently prayed that he wouldn't be spotted.

As soon as he left I broke, falling to the floor with my head in my hands.

I heard Lance come up beside me.

"What did I just do? What did I just do?"

I hadn't realized I had spoken the words until I felt myself being enveloped in a hug.

Lance was sitting on the floor beside me, hugging me. "Shh, Its okay, you were just scared."

"But I should've known that it was Keith," I said, looking up at the now empty doorway.

We both continued to just sit there in silence when suddenly:

"C'mon, 'cira, let's go get something to eat, I'm sure Mullet's fine," obviously trying to not act too bothered by Keith's sudden exit since he seemed to have to do that a lot lately anyway. Some part of me wondered if he thought what he was saying was actually true or not.

I let him lead me out of the training room, but the question refused to quit running wild in my brain.

What had I just done?

...

And this my friends is why you don't decide to wake up at three something in the morning thinking that It'd be a good idea to work on a chapter. After waking up again later, I got rid of some of the crazy parts, this is just plain crappy but what the heck, it's here, the next one will be better I promise..... *taps chin* I think.