XXIX

THE AFTERMATH

His lips were on hers.

Her lips were on his.

Half of Ellie knew that this was a terrible, terrible idea.

The other half? The other half didn't give a shit.

The other half was too busy focusing on the way his lips moved against hers, the way that she just seemed to fit against him, and the way that it just felt right.

The other half was too busy focusing on the fact that his hands were on her back, and that her hands were in his hair.

When he pulled away, and her eyes met his again, she began to listen to the half that knew this was a terrible idea. The half that knew she was leaving in six days, and the half that knew starting a relationship with a world-famous celebrity created more problems than it solved.

She also begun to focus, once again, on the fact that her face was probably bright red. 

"Shit, Harry," Ellie said, pulling away and running a hand through her hair, "That was not a good idea. I leave in six days, you're, well, you're you, why the he-" Harry cut her off by pulling her around to face him, and meeting her eyes again.

"Ellie, I know, but I couldn't let you leave without doing that, okay?" Ellie scoffed.

"Are you really that selfish? Are you just going to go right ahead and confuse me, less than a week before I leave? Real bloody mature, Harry." He mimicked her actions from earlier, pulling one of his own hands through his hair. 

"I'm sorry," he said, "I like you, as you've probably noticed, and I like you as more than a friend, and you told me you were leaving, and you still didn't know. I just lost it a bit, okay? And if you asked me, I would tell you I didn't regret kissing you, because I don't. Not one bit. And okay, maybe that makes me selfish, and horrible, and rude, but at least I'm honest."

Ellie could feel tears building up at the edges of her eyes, but not because of how sentimental Harry was being. No, it was because the longer she sat here, she realised that she liked him as more than a friend too, and she knew that it might just destroy her.

"Ellie? Christ, Ellie, why are you crying?" Ellie hadn't noticed the first few tears fall, or the next, or the several litres after that (maybe a slight exaggeration). She knew she was being ridiculously dramatic, but it was dawning on her now that she was going to have to leave. 

He pulled her into his arms, and damn it, didn't he know that would only make it worse?

"It's okay, Ellie," he said, "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have done that, it's okay, you're okay." Harry said all this in his ridiculously deep voice, and she couldn't help but feel slightly calmed. Not really, though.

Honestly, him calming her down might be the thing she was going to miss most. When would she ever be able to afford to fly back to London?

She could tell Harry was starting to ramble, so even though she knew she'd probably ruined her makeup with her tears (which were still going), she pulled her head off his chest and looked up at him. Mentally, Ellie cursed her emotions for being so ridiculously volatile.

"Stop, okay? I'm the idiot here. I let you kiss me, I yelled at you afterwards, I'm the one who chose to leave. I'm the one who just broke down in tears ove a stupid kiss," Ellie laughed weakly, "I'm the pathetic one." 

"No, Ellie," Harry sounded ridiculously genuine, "You aren't pathetic. You have no idea how long I've waited to be able to tell you that in real life, how long I've waited to try and make you believe it, okay? You are not pathetic, and you never will be."