10 | Dancing Burglars.

The British Accent 🇬🇧

25 June, 9:37a.m.

Dear Diary,
Writing in you has been the most exciting thing that's happened to me in these past two weeks.

Really.

After showing Sophia that mortifying video, she started avoiding me. Probably because she didn't want me pulling any more pranks on her. Pointless move. I didn't take it too personally though. Not Like it would stop me.

What I didn't understand, however, was my sudden dislike for Shawn Mendez. Sure, the prank had been funny, it made everyone crack up but the thought of Shawn Mendez left a bitter taste in my mouth.

That aside, I decided to lead her on for a little while. No pranks. No drama. No excitement. All of which ultimately led to the boredom that loomed over me all this time.

No worries though, I intend to change that.

Gear up time.

• • •

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Although the house seems empty, the vibrations coming from up the stairs say otherwise. Father went out for a meeting and mother accompanied him. My little sister, Paige, is probably at one of her language classes. I can't imagine where the noise is coming from.

I decide to follow the vibrations. Up the stairs and past the library, the sounds finally lead me to the closed door of my room. Here, the sounds are louder and as I press my ears to the door, I can hear the loud beat and the faint lyrics of a rap song.

'Once upon a time not long ago, I was a hoe...'

I can also hear the light ruffle of a carpet as someone shuffles their feet in time to the music.

Immediately, my senses are peaked. One half of me thinks that there's a dangerous intruder on the other side of the door. My other reasonable half questions; Why would a 'dangerous intruder' be dancing to a rap song instead of doing 'dangerous' things?

Slowly, I turn the handle, pushing the door and letting out the full blast of the music.

I immediately regret it.

I had been in many awkward situations like giving unreciprocated high fives and accidentally hugging people when all they wanted was a handshake but nothing was more awkward - and disturbing - as the sight in front of me.

There, in the middle of the room with a mop in her right hand and a napkin in her left, stands Mrs Rosetta, singing and twerking like there's no tomorrow.

She belts out the lyrics in her funny accent, oblivious to my presence. Her frail and tiny form makes her look like more of a dying earthworm than a human being and as I watch her dance, a tiny crook of a smile finds it's way on my lips.

Despite her frail form and her old age, Mrs Rosetta continues to dance. She doesn't let anything get in the way of her passion. That is, in fact, the true lesson here.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that it's a very awkward lesson and I have to get out of here fast. I slowly back out of the room, gently shutting the door.

"What are you doing?"

I whip around sharply to see an unimpressed Paige staring at me with one eyebrow raised.

So maybe, I haven't really introduced my little sister. Well, meet Paige. She's your average annoying fourteen year old brat that thinks she's an adult and knows better than everyone else. Which explains her quirked eyebrow and haughty gaze.