25 ➸ christmas day

Annie Leblanc
25 December 2017

•••

I run a wet finger across the seal of the last envelope, and smooth it out with my thumb. Phew, that was the last letter. Sinking my teeth into my bottom lip with frustration, I pick up the pile of letters and slowly put them into the wooden crate one by one. Each letter hits the bottom with a satisfying clunk, and I can't help but feel pleased all of a sudden. It's like I'm saying goodbye to the old Annie, and shows that I'm a new person.

Smiling softly now, I pick up the crate and hide it behind my back before walking out my door.

"Mom, I'm going out!" I yell across the hall.

"Okay, be back in time for dinner!" She yells back absentmindedly, obviously preoccupied.

I take the steps three at a time and almost run out the door, eager to get to my destination. Snow conceals the familiar streets I'm walking through and Christmas lights are strung on almost every property; I sigh. It's honestly picture perfect.

After twenty more minutes of walking, I notice that the streets get shorter and the houses get bigger. This is how I know that I'm almost at Mackenzie's; her family is honest to god rich.

When I reach Phoebe Lane, I cut across the road with a feeling of nostalgia. Mackenzie and I used to walk to her house almost everyday after school, but of course that stopped in middle school when she made new friends.

Adrenaline and a tinge of nervousness forms in my stomach as I reach her house. I do pause for a minute before walking up her drive and her steps; making sure the letter on top is clearly addressed to Mackenzie.

Taking a deep breath, I rest the box on her steps before ringing the doorbell and going off into the night.

•••

[354 words]