30 ➸ first dates

Annie Leblanc
10 January 2018
(2 weeks after last chapter)

•••

"I really don't know guys..."

"Come on!" Lauren whines. "Just show us the dress already."

"It-"

"Annie, you'd look gorgeous in plastic bags. You have nothing to worry about." Mackenzie laughs.

"Okay okay." I say, managing a small smile.

Carefully as to not break the curtains of the changing rooms, I step out with into the viewing room- fiddling with the soft material of the dress. Mackenzie's eyes widen when she takes me in, and Lauren smiles.

"That's the best one." Mackenzie starts.

"Yeah, you're getting that whether you like it or not!" Lauren giggles, wolf whistling. I brush profusely, asking for a full length mirror. Mackenzie points behind me, and I turn around; drinking in my new appearance.

I have to say that I never thought white would be my colour, but it really is. Somehow the dress manages to say I want attention without being over the top and showy, and also manages to smooth out my stomach. It lifts up my chest- making me look much older and taller. The dark eye makeup I have on today contrasts perfectly, and the sandals I already have on match.

See, Mackenzie decided to set me up with Hayden tonight on a date, and I had no clue what to wear. Lauren and her completely raided my wardrobe, saying that I had nothing pretty enough and that we must go shopping. It's almost creepy how alike they are; thoughts wise.

Mackenzie's voice brings me back to the present, telling me to hurry my little butt up and change because she's hungry.

"You're always hungry!" I laugh.

"Just like Johnny." Lauren winks.

"Guys!" Mackenzie shrieks, pretending to hide behind the curtains of my changing room.

Because Mackenie decided to set me up with Hayden, I've set her up with Johnny. He's bashful about it, but we (Lauren and I) think he likes her and won't say. Lauren's forever joking shes the single one out of our new group, but she's got her eyes set on Carson- a match I approve of.

Not long after, we've bought the dress and the girls are taking me to meet Hayden; he's taking me to a fancy dinner and I couldn't be more excited.

•••

I smooth my palms out over my dress in an attempt to keep the nerves away. The slight chill from the air conditioning bites my skin as I wait in the reception area for Hayden. I'm early, but I couldn't be more thrilled to see that Hayden is coming up the steps; at seven on the dot. Smiling slightly, I walk over to the door, and he smiles back when he sees me.

"Hey." He breathes as he walks in.

"Hi." I say back, grinning now.

"You look absolutely gorgeous." He compliments, eyes raking my body.

"Thank you." I manage to let out. "You look good too."

I'm really not just being polite; he looks amazing. High School has done him very well, and with the all sport he does now he's filled out his frame. His skin is still tan, and teeth are perfectly white, and I'm pretty sure that-

"Annie?" He asks, interrupting my thoughts.

"Oh- yes?" I blush, realising I was daydreaming.

"Our tables this way."

Silently, I fall into step behind him and we step into the restaurant. It's a big understatement to say that I like the decor; love would be a much better word. The lighting is soft, but over each individual table there's a hanging light. Each table though is obviously decorated to fit people needs- for example a family in the corner is obviously celebrating a birthday, and a middle aged couple is most likely on their first date. As Hayden leads me to ours, I feel a sense of awe settle over me. Am I really going on a date with my crush of seven years?

Throughout the night, we were served exquisite food that made my taste buds shiver and tingle. It was a six course meal that came out every few minutes, but the dessert? It was to die for. Aside from the food, Hayden was great company. Actually- he was more than great. He laughed, smiled, and talked our way through any silence, any awkward topic. I think the fact that we'd known each other for years really helped, and he did calmly explain that he never liked Kenzie- he needed her so that his parents would deem his football career worthy. I loved that about him; he was completely honest and thorough with his feelings. Unabashedly, he told me that he liked me straight up and that he wanted to date me. Obviously I blushed and said that I would too, but I would never have the courage to do that on the first date. I really think that he could be good for me; he's caring, funny, kind-hearted- not to mention the fact that he's very good looking.

Really, in my eyes, the night couldn't have been more perfect. When he walked me up to my front porch because it was dark and he wanted to make sure I was home okay? It melted my heart. And when he put his strong arms around me to say goodbye? Well I got shivers; and they weren't from the cold. Respectfully, he kissed me on the cheek, and said hello to my Mum politely.

When he'd gone, I walked in the door smiling.

My Mum grinned at me. "Is he the one?"

"Definitely." I replied, sighing in content.

•••

[1042 words]