29 ➸ flashbacks

Annie Leblanc
27 December 2017
•••

The night I spent at Mackenzie's was the most fun I've had in a long time. We laughed, giggled, joked and teased each other about the weirdest things; conversation was easy. We also binge watched a season of pretty little liars- gasping and screaming at each twist and turn. Now, we've turned back time to middle school and are remembering all out good times together.

"Do you remember when we went to the beach and got carried away into the current? And there were massive jellyfish?" She laughs.

I clap a hand over my mouth, giggling. "Yes! They were massive!"

"What about when you broke the gumball machine at the pier, and we ran away after that man chased us?" I try again.

Her eyes crinkle with happiness. "I remember that like it was yesterday."

I sigh. "I do to."

•••

Mackenzie bends down to slot her coins into the gumball machine, her singlet top revealing her freckles and sunburn from the day prior.

"How do you even work this?" She calls out to me, and I rush over to help.

"Twist this nob thing!" I say happily, like it's the most easy thing in the world. We discover soon after that really, it's not- the flimsy metal just won't budge. Giggling stupidly, we both pull at it at the same time, and finally it comes loose, depositing a few gumballs into the white paper bag at the bottom.

"Oh come on." Mackenzie screeches. "That's pathetic!"

I only giggle again- I swear that's all I ever did- and begin shaking the machine. Our eyes grow wide when it lets out a few more gumballs, and I start shaking then machine. Many more gumballs fall, and Mackenzie's bag starts to overflow.

"Um- Anns?" She says. "You can stop shaking it!"

"It's not me!" I shriek, and at the same time the metal nob falls off the machine. They're freely hitting the bottom now, and we get interrupted by a mans voice.

"Hey!" He shouts gruffly. "You two!"

Mackenzie turns to me, looking afraid.

"Lets go!" I hiss, as we run. Past the stalls of food and drink, past the water, and past the twinkling lights- we run until we reach the boys hangout spot. Sure enough they're there, and when we reach them we collapse onto the grass, still holding onto eachother. We laugh loudly, out of breath. Her eyes are fond, and dancing with admiration. I remember this specific moment.

"What did you do this time Kenz?" Johnny teases her, and I smile, letting her take over.

"Annie broke the gumball machine." She says breathlessly, choking back more laughs.

His eyes don't leave hers when he says "Good one Annie."

I remember I frowned then, and ran away to hang out with Lauren. That's just what we did I guess; jumped between friends.

•••

After a small silence, an idea dawns on me. I mean, if I remember correctly, Johnny and Mackenzie flirted that night away while I hung out with Lauren. If Mackenzie's like Johnny in middle school, why wouldn't she now?

"So, Kenzie..." I begin playfully.

Her eyes crinkle in confusion. "Annie?"

"If you don't like Hayden, or never did, who do you like?"

"Nobody!" She shrieks, turning away and giggling.

"Nuh uh. Who!" I beg of her, smiling cheekily.

"Promise you won't tell?"

"Promise."

"Johnny." She lets out quietly, and I give a whoop.

"I knew it!" I gasp. "Have you told him?"

"No!" She yells, backtracking a little. "You know... that's another reason why I used to hate you."

I wave a hand, dismissing it. "Stop changing the subject!"

"Okay okay. Yes, I like him, No, I haven't told him. He probably hates me after all those things I did anyway."

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh you hardly even know him anymore then."

"What?"

"His type is small, dark haired and smart; everything that you are." I reason. One of the plus sides of knowing Lauren is that I get the dirt on her family life.

Mackenzie blushes then, looking away. "I can't be with anyone until I figure out who I am."

"Kenzie-"

"I'm really sorry Annie. I don't even know what to say because everything I did was so horrible."

I bite my lip, moving over slightly to give her a hug. "I've forgiven you already, it's okay."

"You fucking have a heart of gold." She laughs, voice trembling and eyes watering.

I only laugh along with her, pleased I have my best friend back.

•••

[783 words]