#4 The Vision - An Fhis (Part 2)

"Shit." I mumbled under my breath. Tearing myself from her close proximity I ran out to my bicycle. Of course the shower did no harm to the produce, and thankfully the honey caps were screwed on tightly to prevent any leaking.

"Do you need a ride back?" I looked behind me in surprise to see Lyle had followed me into the growing drizzle. She stood at the other end of my bike, her long hair starting to stick to her forehead as it had the first night before. She pushed the strands out of her face and held my gaze awaiting an answer.

"Um," I contemplated, bringing my hand to shield my eyes from the water droplets as I gauged the sky. It was no longer the light blue of my bike, in fact the clouds had turned to navy littered with tiny cracks where sunlight shone through, creating an illusion of an ocean wave.

"I'll be fine, it looks like it's clearing up." I lied.

Lyle titled her head knowingly. "My car is right around the corner," she pointed a block into the downtown. "Come on."

It was a warm rain, but as loose strands of hair fell from my bun they sent a shiver down my neck as the water trailed over them. I wiped the droplets that gathered at my brow and smiled in thanks as Lyle turned to lead the way.

The farmers, their tents, and tables had long since left the roadway and I wondered how much time we spent in the gallery as we jogged down the sidewalk. My bicycle ran through a puddle and splashed my shins completely soaking the black denim as we rounded the corner. Lyle pulled out her key fob and directed me to an old green hatchback. She popped the trunk and as gracefully as possible we shoved my bicycle and the produce inside.

I rounded the car to the passenger side and nearly collapsed in the seat slamming the door closed behind me, blocking out the progressing down pour. Lyle followed moments later.

I smoothed my hands over my hair attempting to flatten the now curly strands back into my bun. Cold water droplets hit my face as I was doing so. I looked to my left to find the source of the assault just as Lyle exchanged a confused glance with me.

"Shit." She exclaimed half frustrated half laughing. I followed her gaze to the sunroof which was conveniently left wide open. A snort of a laugh escaped my lips before I could catch it. The noise diverted Lyle's attention from the open window and she raised an eyebrow. Covering my mouth with both hands I was unable to stop contain my laughter as her look of amusement grew. She closed the sunroof, finally granting us solace from the rainstorm.

"Whoops."

"Thank you for the ride." I managed in a somewhat even tone. Nervous energy gathered in my system making my laughs all the more difficult to control. Was it the sprint through the down pour that caused my adrenaline level to spike? Or was it the way Lyle looked at me?

"Makes us closer to nature, right?" She winked as she inspected the soaked dashboard and puddles that gathered in the coin pockets. Dipping her hands into the water she flicked some of it as me.

"Hey!" I protested, but it wasn't long before I retaliated and we went back and forth a few times until the water soaked into our clothes.

"I don't want to brag but I am pretty sure I won." I crossed my hands over my chest confidently.

"You hogged the water!"

"Me? A cheater?" I gasped grabbing my heart. "I'll have you know I once went to the Olympics for professional water flicking and never once was I accused of foul play!"

Lyle laughed and leaned forward onto the console. "I want a rematch then." Her supporting hand dangled off the console allowing her fingertips to brush my knee.

"Anytime."

Lyle nodded solidifying the silly agreement.

There was nothing more to say, yet she lingered a second longer before starting the car.

The shower turned into a full on downpour and I had to give directions to Lyle who could no longer make out the street signs of the narrow brick roads. Sheets of rain pummeled the windshield until we afforded some cover from the overarching trees that picketed the paved main road.

We flew past the blurry outlines of simple cottage houses before turning onto White Pine's extensive gravel drive. I looked down at the clock on the dash, it was nearly 4pm.

Grace was going to kill me.

It was a weekend, which meant we were at full capacity, but at least that meant the other two employees would be on call as well.

I snuck a glance at Lyle, her concentration firmly on the path ahead of us. Despite the afternoon hour the sun disappeared behind the clouds. Only a slight glow was available from beyond their outline, forcing Lyle to turn on her lights in order to maneuver through the dense tree lined gravel road.

"Here we go," Lyle turned to face me, resting her elbow on the console between us. We were parked as close as possible to the ivy lined to Tudor home. "I'd get out and open the door for you, but ya know." She gestured to the down pour.

"How courteous of you." I remarked throwing her a sideways grin.

"Chivalry isn't quiet dead." She replied pulling the key from the ignition and clicking a button on the dashboard that I assumed opened the trunk. Silently I counted to three in my head before throwing the passenger door open and sprinting round the back of the car. Lyle beat me and I joined her under the cover of the open hatchback door.

I pulled my bike out of the trunk landing it on the gravel with a crunch sound. Resting it against my hip I accepted the produce Lyle handed me and stashed it hastily in the wicker basket. We hesitated momentarily under the hatchbacks makeshift roof.

"Thanks again." I shot her a quick smile, looking across the road. I could barely see my cabin through the thick sheets of rain. The sound of the droplets hitting the roof required me to speak up, but the sound was more calming than anything.

Lyle followed my gaze across the drive to the greenspace. "Anytime May." She replied giving me a curt nod. "Let's go." She reached up to close the hatchback.

"Wait," I held up my hand in an effort to stop her from closing the trunk. "You never told me what you're doing at White Pine?" I explained. My question was diverted earlier this afternoon and it had been gnawing at the back of my head the entire ride home.

Lyle paused. Her eyes tracing down from the place where my hand held the trunk open until she reached my face.

"Vacation," She replied. "I don't need a special reason to stay at a charming Bed & Breakfast or go into town to look at beautiful art do I?" The answer rolled easily off her tongue as if it were prepared.

If the answer was that simple why had she hesitated to tell me in the first place?

I weighed my options. I knew I wanted to push it, there was just something about her that seemed closed off. I felt everything she said was a half truth - maybe even a third - and I was unable to let it lay to the side. There were no yes and no answers in my mind, and although she hadn't technically spoken either word her answer was the same effect. My gut told me there was more to her story but I didn't get a chance to press her as she placed her hand on the small of my back.

"Now let's get inside before we catch a cold."

Her fingertips were warm against my soaked t-shirt. I attempted to shake off my apprehension and enjoy the moment. Taking a deep inner breath I steadied my bike preparing for the onslaught of rain that awaited us in the twenty foot stretch from her car to the door.

I'm getting pre-notebook vibes !  

Vote & Comment xo